Error while trying to use Arcobjects controls in my .net application

08-21-2016 06:10 AM
khaledEzzat
New Contributor II

I downloaded Visual Studio 2015 and when I tried to drag any control on the a windows form an error shows as follow: "arcgis failed to create component 'Ax License Control'. The error message follows: 'System.ComponentModel.LicenseException: you must have a license to use this ActiveX Control",

so can any body help on this error and how could be fixed?

See attached image for the whole error message.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

You must have an Engine developer kit license in order to use the controls.

You get this license as part of EDN.

khaledEzzat
New Contributor II

Do you mean by "EDN" (ESRI Download)?

Note that I downloaded the ESRI for test and didn't buy it, so in my case shall the license be required too and if it is required, from where shall I get it  after I downloaded ESRI?

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
seria
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

As the previous respondent stated, you need to have a specific type of license file in order to develop ArcGIS Engine Applications that use Engine Controls such as the AxMapControl, AxTOCControl, and the AxToolbarControl. This license is called the ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit License. To install and authorize this license, you would need to use the ArcGIS Administrator dialog (shown in the below image)

In order to obtain such a license, please contact ESRI Customer Service:

ESRI Customer Service

http://www.esri.com/about-esri/contact

ArcGIS Administrator: ArcGIS Engine Developer kit license

After correctly authorizing your Engine software installation, you will need to correctly ..

1. Bind, and

2. License

.. your newly created Engine application. See the following walkthrough documentation that shows how to bind and license an Engine application:

Building a map viewing application using the ArcGIS Engine controls

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/#/Walkthrough_Building_a_map_viewi...

0 Kudos