Layer symbology based on map extent

08-22-2016 01:37 PM
JonBarlett
New Contributor

Within ArcGIS Online is it possible to change the rendering values based on map extent?  For example, if the map extent covers California, the values are 0-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80, 81-100 and then the map user pans to Texas and the values change from 0-60, 61-70, 71-80, 81-90, 91-100.  The color scheme and number of classes stay the same, but the class ranges change.  I didn't see anything out of the box, but maybe this exists in the API functionality. 

Any suggestions or workarounds would be appreciated.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is there a reason for this?  

I would argue that if you have a map with a layer symbolized, that the symbology should be consistent throughout the map area, regardless of zoom level.  This becomes particularly important if the number of classes and colors (etc) remain the same.  People may not notice the changes in the class breaks, resulting in a 'hidden' bit of information which may be misleading for thos that assume the original legend and symbology applied

0 Kudos
JonBarlett
New Contributor

Yes, I totally agree.  I have about 10 web maps that show gas pressures for different areas of the country.  Another group is wanting to ingest into a 3rd party mapping interface that can only utilize one national map.  The map will filter the data based on location, but the symbol classes that make sense in one area will not make sense in another.  I am just exploring my options and was wondering if anyone had done this!  Thank you

0 Kudos