creating buffer starting with a residential address (x,y) and using a street network

08-22-2016 06:32 PM
ErikaMartino
New Contributor II

Hi All. I am new to arcmap and am despite some serious googling I am struggling to do the following: I have two files, one that is a feature class file of streets for an entire state, and the other, a file with "points" of where people live. I want to create a network buffer of 1000m that uses "point" as the origin point, and uses the street network to create a "real buffer" that reflects travel patterns. I tried to create a network file in arc catalogue from the file which failed. Plus in arcmap is says I don't access access rights for any network analysis tools. Any help with this task would be much appreciated, I am pulling my hair out! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You need the Network analyst extension...

What is the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 2nd picture is what you want.

If you have it, you have forgetten to go to the Customize, Extensions menu and toggle it on.

If you don't, have it... never mind

ErikaMartino
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick response, I just enabled network analysis in arcmap. Do I need to create a network file from the file that is in my geodatabase, or can I use the feature class file directly from the database?

Cheers,

Erika

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you have a road file that is from a good source, then create the network from it.  The tutorial in the help documents will give you a guide to follow with your own data.

0 Kudos
ErikaMartino
New Contributor II

cheers

0 Kudos