Implementing an LGIM model from scratch

Jump to solution
08-22-2016 11:07 AM
HassanAkram3
New Contributor II
  • Im a new user to the LGIM and i work for a small city planning department within the government. I recently came up with the idea to implement LGIM. Currently we have data in shapefiles, autocad files, excel and many other formats. My question is how do I convert this data into LGIM databse format or is there a way to add this data to the LGIM database to be use in the maps. Currently im focusing on building a tax parcel viewer sort of an app and to expand as I move on. 
  • Can some body give some directions where to start or step by step intructions or any document which has those answers is much appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Hassan,

I recommend to users to use the Load Objects command to load data from their source data to the LGIM.  You can use the data dictionary to see what each field in the LGIM represents so you can easily map yours to it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Hassan,

I recommend to users to use the Load Objects command to load data from their source data to the LGIM.  You can use the data dictionary to see what each field in the LGIM represents so you can easily map yours to it.

HassanAkram3
New Contributor II

Thank you very much Jake. Really apprecite it. I have looked into the load objects and I think its the way to go for me. How ever I have few questions though;

1. Do I have to create a file geodatabase or enterprise database(not very familiar with it though) for the LGIM?. Or is it just a file geodatabase by default.

2. Do I have to convert all the data into a parcel fabric? I mean the LGIM only accept parcel fabric or what are the scenarios where one would need parcel fabric or normal polygon feature class? Where yo upload both types in the LGIM database? Currently I dnt use any parcel fabric data. But we have a shapefile or parcels and land plots As well as other data

3. Can I create new layers or  fields in the LGIM? 

If you can explain or point me towards the right direction is much appreciated

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

1. You can use either a File Geodatabase or an Enterprise Geodatabase.  The choose is up to you.  I usually recommend users to load the data into an enterprise geodatabase.  You can take advantage of versioning editing, easy database backup, privileges, etc.  Then you can replicate data you wish to stand up in applications out to a file geodatabase.  File Geodatabases typically perform slightly faster.

2.  No, you don't have to convert your data to the parcel fabric.  The parcel fabric is used to help streamline your edits, but usually takes training on how to load and edit your data in the fabric.  So, it's not required to load your data into the fabric.

3.  Yes, you can create new feature classes and fields in the LGIM.  Before loading your data from your schema to the LGIM you will want to make sure you first add the fields to the LGIM feature classes that your data needs but do not exist in the LGIM.

HassanAkram
New Contributor

Thanks a lot Jake. Thats very helpful. 

0 Kudos