100 ArcSDE layers in one Map service - ArcGIS Server 10.3

08-24-2016 10:59 PM
DharmaRajan
Occasional Contributor

I am doing my very first WebGIS application with ArcGIS server using ArcGIS Javascript API 3.17. I have to bring 100 layers in my webgis application as REST service from Oracle DB. To do that whether can we publish 100 layers as one map service or each layer as one service i.e 100 map service or group the layers as 10 datasets and publish as 10 map service. please suggest that which is the efficient way to publish those 100 layers in ArcGIS server.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could move this thread to a more relevant space like ArcGIS for Server‌ for better visibility.

Now coming to your question, you can use a Capacity Planning Tool to compare the loads between multiple light services and one heavy service.

But you could also split the layers into logical groupings (like land-use, transportation, utilities, etc.).

You could revert with your observation.

Think Location
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

To better and efficient use of you services in large extent/use, Divide layers based on their features and create multiple map then use in web application.

If you are using 100 layers most of times you face performance issue with your application and map service operations.

https://community.esri.com/people/patel1684/blog/2016/08/17/the-best-practice-for-authoring-a-mxd 

Thanks!