database users posting to 'Protected' default

08-23-2016 12:06 PM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

A simple SQL Server Instance on a VM in azure holds a geodatabase that I loaded with an xml file as the dbo.  I created a database user which I then used to connect to the geodatabase and create a version.  The Default version is set as 'Protected', yet the user is able to rec/post to the default when connected as the database user.  

How can I figure out why this is happening.  My coworker has a version I created for her with the database user as the version owner.  The schema of the data is DBO.  she is able to rec/post to the default.

This is not cool Zeus.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

No kidding that's not cool.  I think you should give a call to Tech Support.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

That will be an expected behavior if the owner of both the versions is 'DBO'.

I assume that you have a DBO schema enterprise geodatabase, where the Default is owned by DBO, as expected. The Database Login that you then used to create the Child version, might have the 'SYSADMIN' server role granted to it, thus making it a DBO as well.

Let me know if the assumption is incorrect.

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2

The owner of the Default version is DBO, the owner of the user version is PHL Shows owner of versions

The Database Connection that I used to create the Database User was DBO.

The Database User created using the Geoprocessing tool is not a SQL Server login, it is only shown as a Database User in SQL Server. It is also in a Geodatabase Role that I did not grant any privileges to in SQL, I only used the role to define the editing privileges on the datasets in the geodatabase.  

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Something is wrong w.r.t the permissions getting granted to the new Database user then. I think giving a call to Tech Support would help in faster narrowing down to the problem.

RichardHughes2

To follow up on this topic, I migrated my data to a new geodatabase built with the sde user schema.  This solved the issues I was having.