Overwriting Existing Map Service

08-24-2016 07:59 AM
JacobSnyder2
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am currently attempting to automate the process of overwriting an existing map service using Arcpy. I was wondering if, before overwriting the map service, there was a need to stop the service? If not, will a publisher connection to ArcGIS Server work for what I am trying to do? Thank you for your time.

-Jacob 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jacob,

The publisher connection is fine to use.

You shouldn't need to stop the service when overwriting.  You don't need to when doing it manually, so I would assume the same applies through a script.  Overwriting the service should automatically stop and start the service on its own

JacobSnyder2
New Contributor III

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Adding to Jennifer's response; just be sure you can flip the switch that starts the service immediately upon completion of overwriting.

That should just about do it....
JacobSnyder2
New Contributor III

Okay. So after overwriting, the service will need to be started using an administrator connection in order for the service to begin to function?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I update mine manually.  You'll need to emulate this pane with your script:

That should just about do it....
JacobSnyder2
New Contributor III

Thanks so much for your help.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And if you need it to be done by script, this is a good place to start http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=12dde73e0e784e47818162b4d41ee340    which is the ArcGIS Server admin toolbox from esri

JacobSnyder2
New Contributor III

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos