help w/ a pmf file

08-24-2016 01:24 PM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

just received a pmf file. Arcreader would call it up, but the layers are empty with an exclamation point beside each layer name. I also recived some files with it that look like a geodata base, but arcmap wont read these files.  So, I am not sure what I have!  Does the PMF file require data files to go along with it?  I have attached a screen clip of what these data files look like. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Saving a map—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  what did they send you? do you know?  and the figure looks like part of a geodatabase, but you should have been able to select layers within it... I would give a call to the originator

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

thanks dan for the reply. First off, he sent me the pmf file.  It shows layers but no data in them.  Then he sent me the other data (from the screen clip). I set a folder path in arcmap to that data, but when I open that folder (in catalog) it shows nothing, like it is not the corrcect type of data to be read in catalog.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

with a geodatabase, you don't go into the folder looking for stuff or you will see that, and not the layer names.  The ! marks indicate that it could be a path issue when the package was created, although one would assume that a package would deal with it

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

would you be intersted in looking at this data? Not a big file at all.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you could post it... I can't since I am arc*-less on an iThingy... someone else will surely have a look

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

well i would, but now I don't see where I can upload a file

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can edit your thread and attach the file, or add a reply, activate the advanced editor (link "use advanced editor" in the upper right corner) and attach the file (see "Attach" link in the lower left corner)

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It sounds like the publisher of the *.pmf file did not package a published map correctly.  He essentially sent you the *.pmf without the data encapsulated with the *.pmf.  You can read a bit more about it here:  http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//000s00000006000000

MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

finally figured out how to upload the file (with lots of help from the forum...thanks). I'd be interested if anyone can take a look at this and tell me what I have. 

MKH

0 Kudos