Adding projected coordinate systems

Jump to solution
08-25-2016 12:22 PM
JasonDick
New Contributor III

We are evaluating using the ArcGIS .NET SDK. One reason is for the built-in support for the Oregon Coordinate Reference System (OCRS). I recently learned that more zones will be added early next year. How long does it typically take for new coordinate systems to be added? Is there a process that Oregon (or someone) should follow to submit the systems? If it's a "lengthy" amount of time, I assume we have the ability to add coordinate systems as long as we know the parameters?

Thanks,
Jason

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

It'll depend on the schedule of Runtime, and the Esri projection engine. New coordinate systems and transformations are added to the projection engine first (pe.dll or jpe_sdk.jar), then other Esri software packages incorporate the new library.

For instance, if someone got me the definitions within the next few weeks, I could probably get the them into ArcGIS 10.5 (Desktop/Server), otherwise, depending on when they're available next year, possibly ArcGIS 10.5.1. Runtime's schedule is a little different. We have think about whether we let an SDK that's can be used to build client software have definitions that aren't yet available in the Server software.

To request additions, contact technical support, or me (mkennedy at esri), but it's a lot easier to track if it goes through technical support. In parallel, or I can forward the information, submit to the IOGP's geodesy subcommittee which maintains the EPSG Geodetic Parameter Registry.

Projected CRS names

projection and parameter values

unit (meters and feet?)

Geographic CRS

exents, both rectangular and polygon

Agency Source

Melita

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

It'll depend on the schedule of Runtime, and the Esri projection engine. New coordinate systems and transformations are added to the projection engine first (pe.dll or jpe_sdk.jar), then other Esri software packages incorporate the new library.

For instance, if someone got me the definitions within the next few weeks, I could probably get the them into ArcGIS 10.5 (Desktop/Server), otherwise, depending on when they're available next year, possibly ArcGIS 10.5.1. Runtime's schedule is a little different. We have think about whether we let an SDK that's can be used to build client software have definitions that aren't yet available in the Server software.

To request additions, contact technical support, or me (mkennedy at esri), but it's a lot easier to track if it goes through technical support. In parallel, or I can forward the information, submit to the IOGP's geodesy subcommittee which maintains the EPSG Geodetic Parameter Registry.

Projected CRS names

projection and parameter values

unit (meters and feet?)

Geographic CRS

exents, both rectangular and polygon

Agency Source

Melita

JasonDick
New Contributor III

Thank you. I did not receive a notification about your reply, hence the delay. BTW, I've been reading your posts on other sites; very helpful! I received the information today regarding the new coordinate systems. I'll review it later and create a ticket, though it might be awhile.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you!

I've pretty much finished adding entries for 10.5, so I wouldn't be able to incorporate them even if I got them tomorrow. Next release (not scheduled yet but rumored will probably be in Q1 2017).

Melita

0 Kudos