Web App Builder Search Widget NOT returning correct results with Composite Locator

08-27-2016 07:59 AM
WilliamRice
Occasional Contributor II

Subject:  Web App Builder Search Widget NOT returning correct results with a 10.4.1 Composite Locator for some input street intersections:

With our ArcGIS Online Web App Builder Applications, we use a Composite Address Locator geocoding service published from ArcGIS Server version 10.3.1.   Within the past month or so, the behavior of the Web App Builder Search Widget has changed to that the Search results are returned to the widget apparently in ASCENDING order by Match Score instead of the traditional sorting of the match results in DESCENDING order by Match Score.  The result of this change, is that when a user initiates a Search, the widget incorrectly selects and zooms in the map to the candidate with the LOWEST score!   This incorrect, broken behavior is partially improved if one uses a Composite Locator published with ArcGIS Server 10.4.1.  However, even with a 10.4.1 Composite Locator, the Web App Builder Search widget still incorrectly generates just wrong combinations of candidates for some input street intersections.  For example, in our community, if the intersection "20TH ST & 27TH AVE" is entered, the Search Widget correctly returns ONE result.  However, if I enter "7TH AVE & 12TH ST", then the Search Widget is returning such combinations as "79TH CT & 128TH ST" and "78TH AV & 126TH ST".  If the match results were returned in DESCENDING order by Match Results like they have ALWAYS been handled by ArcView 3.x and ArcMap 9.x, and ArcMap 10.x, then the Web App Builder Search Widget would have a chance at returning the correct results. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi William,

This may be a bug in the Search widget. Can you please open an incident with Esri Tech Support with a repro case so we can investigate further?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

did you ever figure this out? warice

0 Kudos
WilliamRice
Occasional Contributor II

Chelsea,

Back on August 29, 2016, I submitted a Case to Esri regarding this issue:  "Case# 01822032 Web App Builder Search Widget incorrectly returning results in Ascending Order by Match Score".  A bug/enhancement request was generated off of this case " #ENH-000096113 [Enhancement] Through Web AppBuilder's Search widget, allow for the option to disable distance and location parameters from being automatically added to the find address candidates request when searching for an address or place using a custom geocode service".

I don't know if any of my submissions had any effect, but I am no longer seeing this incorrect behavior with the results from a Composite Locator being returned by the AGOL Web App's Search Widget.  I am currently getting the correct results returned.  See the screen snapshot below for an example of results returned from the AGOL Web App Search Widget using an ArcGIS Server Composite Locator Geocoding Service.  The source data is a Composite Locator in a 10.3.1 File Geodatabase published to ArcGIS Server version 10.4.1.

IRC Composite Locator Results

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't give me any actionable steps for my own locator issues.

It looks like the bug you submitted has been implemented (ENH-000096113: Through Web AppBuilder's Search widget, allow for th.. )

However, I'm still experiencing lower scores displaying over higher scores even when local search has been disabled.

I guess I'll put in my own ticket.

0 Kudos