Project Template Doesn't Show on ArcGIS Pro Startup

08-29-2016 02:19 PM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

I created an ArcGIS Pro project template, added it to our ArcGIS Online for Organizations site and then shared it to our Organization.  I expected to see it on start up within ArcGIS Pro, but I don't.  Any ideas on why it doesn't show?...am I missing a step somewhere?

13 Replies
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

Did you get this resolved? When you click "Select another project template" you will be taken to a page where you can choose "Portal".  The template should show up under "My Content".  The problem I'm having is that I can see it under "My Content" but none of my coworkers can see it when they look in the "Portal".  The only workaround I found was to put the template into a "Group" and add everyone to that group so they can find it....which isn't ideal.

Pretty frustrating.

0 Kudos
mpboyle

Kate Newell‌,

I did get this resolved.

I created a group that is specific for sharing Project Templates to, and this group is viewable to our Organization.  The project template itself is stored under a headless account within our Organization (should I get hit by a bus tomorrow) and shared to the Project Template group.  Using this workflow, any user within our Organization has access to the Project Templates group.

Should you only want certain project templates available to certain members of your Organization, you could create separate groups.

ArcGIS Online group for housing ArcGIS Pro templates

Viewing the group through ArcGIS Pro using my personal Organization account

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Ok Thanks Matthew.

Do your users have to be members of the group? Or is the "viewable by all" setting on the group enough for that group folder to show up upon starting ArcPro and selecting Portal?

0 Kudos
mpboyle

Users do not have to be members of the group, it's viewable to everyone in our Organization.  I consider this group to contain project templates that have base information (maps, layouts, common folder connections, common database connections, styles, etc...) that is useful to all users within our Organization.

As I mentioned, perhaps as we build out project templates, and more of our users start using ArcGIS Pro, it may be advantageous or desirable for certain departments to have their own project templates, at which point it may be useful to have specific department groups set up that only contain department specific templates...or in our case, we already have groups set up for specific departments, which are only viewable to members of that group, and we'd want to share templates in that fashion.

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Hmmm...I made a group, didn't add members, but made it visible to everyone in our organization....and our users still can't see the group upon starting ArcGIS Pro.  I had to add them as members for them to see it.  Sorry to bug ya, but are you sure they aren't members as well?  And THANK YOU so much for taking the time to reply on this.

0 Kudos
mpboyle

Yep, I guess users do have to be members of the group.  I removed my personal account from the group and no longer see it within ArcGIS Pro as a folder, which makes sense.  When it says viewable to the Organization, I suppose that means anyone in our Organization can see/view the group, but they are not automatically members.

We have our enterprise logins integrated with our Organization.  One thing I think I'll consider changing is what group(s) users are automatically members of once they join.  We have it set up so users can automatically join our Organization by signing in with their enterprise account...which, personally, I like because we don't have to spend time administering a named user account and then sending out an invite.

Below are screenshots showing how you can specify which groups users are automatically placed as members of once they join.

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Ok that makes sense.  Thanks for sharing the info and for the screenshots on how you guys administer.  That's helpful.  I'll see what the other AGOL Admins in our organization think, but I was hoping not to have to create another group...though administratively it does makes sense.

Thanks again.

-Kate

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you share the Project Template with the Group or only My Content?

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

"My Content" was checked by default (and grayed out).  I also checked "City of Bellingham" (my organization). I didn't select a group at all, as not all of our users are a part of a group and I want the template to be available to everyone.  Does it have to be a part of a group for users to see it?

0 Kudos