Issues with ArcMap 10.4.1 - using Windows 10?

08-27-2016 01:41 PM
Danielle_Delise
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm a new user and experiencing two issues while using ArcMap 10.4.1.  Any thoughts recommendations will be much appreciated!

Issue 1: The tools in the ArcMap tool ribbon (e.g., image of hand, zoom, identify) are too small to see clearly, also the "x" to close a window is miniscule - like the head of a pin.  I have tried to resolve by adjusting the display settings (e.g. changed size of text, apps, and other items to 350%) and I tried different screen resolutions. This has increased the size of the fonts and slightly increased most of the tool images, but not all.  One unwanted side effect is the larger text now overlaps each other in some locations of the ArcMap. 

Interestingly, ArcGIS Pro works just fine for me - yet my Masters Degree program would like me to use ArcGIS for Desktop.

Issue 2: ArcMap crashes or becomes non-responsive frequently.  My ArcGIS program is installed on the SSD and my data files are installed on the Hard Drive. Might this be contributing to the crashes?

My computer's specs:

Dell Inspiron 7000 series.

Windows 10

16 GB RAM

4 GB Ram Discrete Nvidia graphics card.

128 GB Solid State Drive (ArcGIS installed here) 

1 TB Hard Drive (Data files installed here)

Thank you!!!

Danielle

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

small icon issue is known in ArcMap and seems to bother some and yes Pro is fine.  There a links making suggestions and setting dpi and font scaling have been tried.

Crashes and such are not normal especially since you machine has reasonable specs.  The ssd drive is totally fine for the install.  You will have to investigate further the circumstances upon which this occurs ie all projects, new projects, whether imagery is involved, basemaps online blah, etc.  Basic solutions can involve removing your application profile, to doing a repair install to a full reinstall particularly if 10.4.1 isn't a first install.

Danielle_Delise
New Contributor II

Thank you so much Dan Patterson, I very much appreciate your time and assistance!

Danielle