Spreading overlaping points from different sources

08-30-2016 01:08 PM
PatricePineault1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have two point layers from different sources in which some features are overlapping (a feature in layer 1 is overlapping a feature in layer 1 AND 2).

I need to spread the points so that each point is visible.

I did it before with a representation and the "Disperse Markers" tool, but I had to merge the layers.

I would like to do that without merging the layers.

I would also like to spread the points but I would like them to be still overlapping just a little bit (to show that they actually are overlapping, but to make them visible). Disperse tool allow a number greater than or equal to 0, so they are touching, but not overlapping.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is suspect from the previous post which garner no suggestions...

https://community.esri.com/thread/181873-displaying-overlapping-points-from-different-sources 

That everyone felt the merge and Disperse Markers was the best way to go.

What is the difficulty in doing a merge? even if you produce a separate layer, merged, devoid of excess baggage and purely for symbology.  The input layers would remain intact and you would have one layer purely for display.  A win-win to me

0 Kudos
PatricePineault1
New Contributor III

That would have been nice to avoid merging to save some time.

But what about the idea of spreading the points to keep them overlapping juuust a little bit?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you would have been done a merge and disperse by the time you posted  choices, choices