ArcReader.exe has stopped working

08-31-2016 06:27 AM
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

I receive the following error message when opening a file in ArcReader. "ArcReader.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." This error is user specific. The user can log on to a different computer where ArcReader is running fine and get the same error. Another user will log on to their computer and they do not get this error message. Running ArcReader 10.3 on Windows 10. Also tried logging on to a Windows 7 computer running ArcReader 10.4 and had the same issue. The user is able to open some older ArcReader files (created using 10.3) but 10.4 files do not open.

Other users were getting the same issue but it seemed to resolve itself.

Does this seem to be an ArcReader issue or a problem with the Windows profile?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

their profile, since it is person and machine specific... try cleaning them out, they get 'recreated' upon their return

0 Kudos
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

Thanks for your response. I wasn't sure if it was a Widnows issue since some older ArcReader files open but others do not. Could you elaborate some more on how to clean out the user profile?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I just delete their folder in the c\user\blah location.... worst case, remove from recycle bin

0 Kudos
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

Wouldn't that delete the entire user profile and all other data?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

then try renaming it... if you have admin rights... one would assume that data is backed up as a matter of course.

0 Kudos