Why do field names and survey records look different in attribute table of a ShapeFile and CSV file

Jump to solution
08-30-2016 08:22 AM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hello

I'm experiencing a problem when I download the survey data as CSV or ShapeFile. Field names are different such as field_1, field2, field1_10 for instance when I open a CSV file in Excel. Similarly, the result is same when I open attribute table of a shapefile. On the other hand, there is no problem when I open  attribute table of  a File Geodatabase. I attached screenshots to clarify the problem. Could you please kindly help me on this matter ? 

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. The name of fields and choices in surveys authored on the web is automatically created (field_1, field_2, choice_1, choice_2...). However, we use the Label/Title you set for the questions and choices to define the field alias.  When you open a FileGeodatabase in ArcGIS Desktop, you see the alias.  When you open a CSV or Shapefile, you see the actual  field names.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. The name of fields and choices in surveys authored on the web is automatically created (field_1, field_2, choice_1, choice_2...). However, we use the Label/Title you set for the questions and choices to define the field alias.  When you open a FileGeodatabase in ArcGIS Desktop, you see the alias.  When you open a CSV or Shapefile, you see the actual  field names.

FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Ismael,

I understand the logic here.  It seems field names might be confusing unless you open Geodatabase. So gdb works out for me  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
ElkeSauter1
New Contributor

Hi all!

Can we change the name of these default fields in Survey123 Web for example: field_1 change it to Project_Name and so on?