Extracting Features from an aerial image

08-30-2016 11:59 AM
Labels (1)
KellyHanne1
New Contributor II

I have a quick question regarding extracting features from an aerial photograph.  I am trying to extract woodlands from an NAIP and am wondering the best way to do this?  What is the tool I would use to do this?  The project I'm working on is somewhat time-sensitive and I do not have time to trace the aerial image.  Thanks.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't suppose you have any background in Remote Sensing, because, unless the surfaces are absolutely uniform in texture and color, then you enter the realm of What is image classification?—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

In which case, you may have to weigh that against the time needed to digitize.

CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree with Dan Patterson that there is a learning curve required for doing this work - but the short answer is "segmentation".  see Understanding Segmentation and Classification—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  

Cody B

KellyHanne1
New Contributor II

Thanks, guys.  No, I don't have experience with image classification or segmentation, so the learning curve may be slightly too long.  Looks like I'm digitizing, but I'm determined to learn this for future reference.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I haven't looked at  https://community.esri.com/people/acrawford-esristaff/blog/2016/07/18/arthurs-feature-extraction-fro...  in detail at all, since I have no need right now, but might be worth a few minutes to read through, in case it gives you some ideas.  But if your task is time sensitive, grunt digitizing might be the fastest.  As the others mention, there is a learning curve on any of the automation.