Error of Locator to pinpoint exact coordinate location.

08-30-2016 01:05 PM
LisaHill1
New Contributor

I'm testing out the placement accuracy of location. I pinpoint an exact location (say the corner of a building).  I copy the exact coordinates (lat long or UTM) into the Locator box.  The dropped pin can be from 170 feet to 700 feet from it's correct location.  Is this a problem with the map scale or Spatial resolution of the map?  I'm volunteering for a natural history museum in the paleontology department.  Knowing the exact location of fossil location for mitigation purposes is critical.  Thank you for any assistance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

How do you get lat and long?

What is accuracy?

How do you measure the distance (170 to 700 feet) ,how do you specify the correct location?

What is the spatial reference that you depend on?

0 Kudos
LisaHill1
New Contributor

Thanks for responding.  I'm volunteering for a museum in the paleontology dept and thinking this over, I think the problem lies in the spatial resolution of the satellite map they're using, or that ESRI is using.  When using cartographic maps to a specific scale that they download they can pinpoint a spot, but with ESRI basic maps or satellite maps the resolution may not be as fine, or as detail (i.e. larger detail).

Appreciate,  Lisa

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Do you get coordinates from satellite image or cartographic map?

Are you georeference the cartographic map or you get it adjusted with spatial reference ?

0 Kudos