How to fill all sinks in the DEM raster with (for example) 10m of rain (water column height)?

09-07-2016 03:48 PM
KristijanBakaric
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a DEM with varied topography and a lot of potential sinks that can accumulate water, i.e. potential lakes. In theory, the soil/rock is not permeable and in every sink falls exactly 10m (water column height) of rain. I had some varied success with fill tool, and then deducting it from unfilled DEM but I would like to have a control of the water height in every sink and every sink should have exactly 10m of water height. If the vertical sink height is 5m (from deepest point until the height it spills over), then it is filled fully; if the sink is 15m then there will be 5m of air above the 10m of water column.  Is there a way of doing such analysis and what would be the best way to approach the problem?

I appreciate any suggestions, ideas...

Thank you!

Cheers

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I can only think of the classic simulating a flood Simulate a Flood .  The principles are still the same, but you do need a low point to serve as the access.  I am not sure in that incarnation whethr the sinks are assumed filled prior to running.  There is also ArcHydro tools, but I have never used them.  In any event once the sinks are filled, you are effectively intersecting a horizontal plain at some elevation with the existing surface, the depth of 'water' will not be uniform across the surface obviously (representing final state conditions).