Can ArcPad use IPhone as web camera?

09-08-2016 04:42 AM
longcui
New Contributor II

We have installed ArcPad 10.2 at laptop and our field staff are using the ArcPad to collect data. Use the laptop integrated camera to capture image is really inconvenient. However, if IPhone can configured as web camera by connecting to laptop via usb or bluetooth, that would be much easier

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I can't answer your question completely, since I haven't used photos with my ArcPad projects, but this is an interesting blog on the subject of photos and ArcPad

The ArcPad Team Blog: ArcPad Photo Layer 

Some info of interest...

If you are using an external camera, there are two different methods of bringing your photographs into your ArcPad Project. The first is for GPS enabled cameras which have GPS coordinates embedded in the EXIF header of the image.  ...  There is also software available which can insert GPS coordinates into the EXIF header of photographs taken on a camera that is NOT GPS enabled.

Only cameras that are supported on the device are listed in the Camera drop-down list. By default, the ArcPad Camera is selected. 

My suggestion is to see if the laptop can recognize the iPhone device/camera.  Maybe there is a generic option similar to how NMEA is used as a common GPS collection.

This is an older article (2012) so newer version of ArcPAd might have more/better options.

0 Kudos