Create a feature class is now possible only via GP tool?

Jump to solution
09-09-2016 11:33 PM
MaxMax2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi!

At now the only way to create feature class is to execute GP tool Create Feature Class. I would know if it will be possible to create feature class with some method (as it is in ArcObjects – IFeatureWorkspace.CreateFeatureClass) in future versions of the ArcGIS Pro SDK? Or such method will never be exist by some reasons?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KarlHuber
New Contributor III

As far as I understand, the ArcGIS Pro SDK will not provide an API that performs any DDL statements at the underlying datasource. DDL can be performed only using proper GP-Tools.

But: You can call GP-Tools from within the ArcGIS Pro SDK using the Geoprocessing class from the ArcGIS.Desktop.Core.Geoprocessing namespace. So you can create your own API and expose extension methods to the ArcGIS Pro SDK types like ArcGIS.Core.Data.Geodatabase based on calling GP-Tools from within the SDK...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

throught toolbox interface, its python/arcpy equivalent... then there is this the the 'net' types ArcGIS Pro SDK | ArcGIS for Desktop  which I haven't explored but you may want to have a check, in the links, you will also find the GitHub examples page ProSnippets · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub  that should get you rolling pretty fast.

0 Kudos
MaxMax2

Thanks for your answer, but I'm interested in .NET ArcGIS Pro SDK method to create feature class. At now this method doesn't exist  In my opinion executing of GP tool is not native way for .NET SDK so I wonder if something like IFeatureWorkspace.CreateFeatureClass will be in future versions ArcGIS Pro SDK.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You would have to pose this question to the development team... 

0 Kudos
KarlHuber
New Contributor III

As far as I understand, the ArcGIS Pro SDK will not provide an API that performs any DDL statements at the underlying datasource. DDL can be performed only using proper GP-Tools.

But: You can call GP-Tools from within the ArcGIS Pro SDK using the Geoprocessing class from the ArcGIS.Desktop.Core.Geoprocessing namespace. So you can create your own API and expose extension methods to the ArcGIS Pro SDK types like ArcGIS.Core.Data.Geodatabase based on calling GP-Tools from within the SDK...

MaxMax2

Ok, I got it... Thank you. I finally found this information on ProConcepts-Geodatabase-Architecture:

The ArcGIS.Core.Data API is a DML-only (Data Manipulation Language) API. This means that all schema creation and modification operations such as creating tables and feature classes, creating and modifying fields, enabling attachments, and so on, need to be performed using the Geoprocessing API.

0 Kudos