Looking for an efficient way to manage numerous relevancy choices

Jump to solution
09-09-2016 03:44 PM
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

I know you can control answer choices via the relevant field, but I'm looking for an efficient way to do this for 149 relevancies. First a very brief primer on the project and issue. At deer check stations we will be documenting where individual deer were harvested down to the square mile, which is described as a combination of the Township, Range and Section values e.g., T12 R16 Section 14. Each combination of Township and Range (orange squares in graphic below) contains 36 Sections. The problem is that those along the Mississippi River are incomplete and it really messes up data post-processing when someone enters a Section number that doesn't exist. (For various reasons identifying the harvest location on a digital map is not practical and it is done via a wall map. I would like to control the list of Section values available based on the T/R combo that is entered e.g., if T12 R16 only has Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and 14 associated with it, that's all I want the user to be able to select from. The efficiency challenge is that there 148 T/R combinations and 49 of them have less than a full complement of Sections. Suggestions? Feel free to contact me at Robert.wright@state.mn.us. Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

I think Cascading Selects could help you here. You could model this as three select_one questions in your survey (Township, Range and Section).  In the Township select one you will show a list of all the Townships you care about. Then you will use the selected Township, to filter the choices presented in the Range question, and again filter the Sections according to the  Range selected.

To learn more about Cascading Selects:

1. In Survey123 Connect, click on New Survey
  2. Select the Cascading Selects design from the Samples category

Play with this sample to get the concept. You can concatenate as  many cascading selects as you want.

To handle very, very long lists (thousands of records) you will want to use an External Select, which is just a variation of a Cascading Select where the list of choices is stored in a separate worksheet.

If you know in advance what Ranges exist within each Township, and what Sections within each Range, I think the solution above should work for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

I think Cascading Selects could help you here. You could model this as three select_one questions in your survey (Township, Range and Section).  In the Township select one you will show a list of all the Townships you care about. Then you will use the selected Township, to filter the choices presented in the Range question, and again filter the Sections according to the  Range selected.

1. In Survey123 Connect, click on New Survey
  2. Select the Cascading Selects design from the Samples category

Play with this sample to get the concept. You can concatenate as  many cascading selects as you want.

To handle very, very long lists (thousands of records) you will want to use an External Select, which is just a variation of a Cascading Select where the list of choices is stored in a separate worksheet.

If you know in advance what Ranges exist within each Township, and what Sections within each Range, I think the solution above should work for you.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Ismael,

Is it possible to have Cascade Selects based on select_multiple questions?

Carmel

0 Kudos