Georeferencing

09-12-2016 11:14 AM
Labels (1)
OliverLeimer1
New Contributor

Hello community!

I have a special question on georeferencing, on which I haven't yet found an answer.

I want to create danger areas for groundwater-pumps. To achieve that, I have a point-shapefile of all the groundwater-pumps in my city, including information of their pumping capacity, the groundwater-flow direction in that area, etc. 

In addition to that I have created an image in a program called "Processing Shemat", showing the spatial expansion of the pump-related thermal influence in the ground water from one single pumping station. This image was created for one single pumping station, but will look the same for all others, too.  So let's assume, that this one graphic is valid for all the points in my shapefile.

What I now want to do is importing that image  to arcgis and not only connect it with one of the points in my shapefile, but all of the points (so that as result I'll have 1000 images (one per point in my shapefile) instead of only one)?

All the tutorials on georeferencing in the internet showed me, how I can adjust that picture to a single point, but doing that for 1000 pumping stations in the city is too much of an effort. 
So is there a possibility of (sorry for my amateurish language) kind of telling arcgis to connect the image from one point in the picture to all the points in my shapefile?

Does that even make sense with a raster, or should I first use ArcScan to vectorize it and make a similar operation later?

Thanks in advance for your help  

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

georeferencing is used to reference an image to the ground to be used for mapping... it becomes a base map perhaps.

sounds like you want to reference an image to a map... you want a hyperlink if you want to see an image at a location

Using Hyperlinks—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

A couple of questions regarding the intent of using the image:

Is the image intended to be an exact spatial extent of the zone?  Or is the image intended to be used as a symbol, i.e. to show generally where the issue is?  For example, the ultimate goal is to produce a map with many points showing the many pump points and their zones at a high level and it is not intended to be used for analysis/exact display of the zones but instead to make people aware of all the points and zones. 

If it is the latter, I believe you can process the image so that it can be used as a Style, then assign that Style to your points so the image appears for each one.  If you want both the points and the image to show, duplicate the points layer in the Table of Contents (TOC), put your regular points symbols layer on top in the TOC and the points layer with images as the symbols below it.

How To: Import a picture and/or logo to a user as a style 

Chris Donohue, GISP

OliverLeimer1
New Contributor

Hi guys!

Thanks for your replies!

Well, actually my image contains an exact spatial extend for a zone, which is why I can't use it as a style. I thought about vectorizing it via ArcScan, so I can later create a polygon out of my image, showing the dangerzone as irregular, but almost elliptic shape and then connect it with the pumping-points.

There are about 100 pumping-points in my area, and every single one creates the same dangerzone (based on the same pumping capacity). So my shape actually would need to be copied 100 times and connected with the pumping-points, once for each point. 

To say it as metaphor: Imagine the model of a house. There are 100 properties in my town and every single owner of each property is going to get the exact same house.

That's what I want to achieve

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Is the intent to have this vector/polygon duplicated with each pumping-point as an "anchor"?  If so, I would use a script to duplicate the polygon, then use a move xy (cursor) to adjust each polygon.  If that is what you want, that is possible.

But as you mentioned, get the polygon created first.  Then you would want to find a x/y coordinate that matches, at least relatively, to the pumping-point it is associated.  Then it's just a matter of the scripting.  (probably to a new or copy of the FC)

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Can you attach a sample of the image to help understand what it contains and what it represents? If possible can you show the result of manually georeferencing the image to a single point? Will it have a different rotation for other points?

OliverLeimer1
New Contributor

Thanks Rebecca, that comes pretty close to what I need.
So is it possible then, to define a non-centric x/y point in my polygon (because the source of the dangerzone is not the polygons geometric center) and duplicate it to new x/y-locations, referring to all 100 xy-coordinates of my feature class "pumpingstations"?

Xander, I'll upload a sample-image tomorrow, then you'll see what it looks like. All the duplicated polygons will have the same rotation and extent, as the original one has, yes.

Thanks again, you're making my life a lot easier atm, helping me with my student-problems

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

So is it possible then, to define a non-centric x/y point in my polygon (because the source of the dangerzone is not the polygons geometric center) and duplicate it to new x/y-locations, referring to all 100 xy-coordinates of my feature class "pumpingstations"?

Assuming the polygon is at the same relative location from the "pumping-station", I would think this is possible.  You may need to get into the geometry to do a shift for all of them, but a more of the duplicated geometry might be possible too. It's not something I have time to play with right now, but you may want to check out Shifting features | ArcPy Café   to give you some ideas. 

This appears to go from the centroid, so if the centroid is the same, relative to the pumping-station and polygon you have as your starting set, that should work.  If you have different variables, for example, a different angle (as Xander mentioned) or size/shape, that is another issue.

One suggestion, make sure to add some unique identifiers in both the point and polygon file so after all is said and done, you can join the info back up.  When you duplicate the polygon, you will want to populate this field right away and move it based on the info from the point...repeat, etc.

Sorry that I can't offer any code right now, but a sample will help....it sounds like a fun exercise...so I'm sure you will get some samples.  In the meantime, here are some other threads after a quick web search

Have fun!

edit: by the way, you may want to change you title to something like "Duplicate and move polygon to other anchor point with python" or something like that, if that is the case...and move it to the Python space.  I don't want to do that until we're sure that is what you are needing....but I think we've ruled out georeferencing for this thread.  ??  In my opinion anyway. 

OliverLeimer1
New Contributor

Thanks, that's really what I wanted to know!
I actually hoped to be able to avoid Python, but well, I need a refreshment anyway

So thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot!

Xander, In attachment are two files. "Strapetz_kf" is the dangerzone. In "targets" the dangerzone is located at one point with the arrows showing where it shall be copied to. 
This is just a sample.
Anyway, I'll try out Rebeccas remarks, so the topic is solved for now
Thanks also to you and anyone else, who gave their input.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Just as an added note, based on you attached graphics....If you have a value for the rotation, and the pumping-station is at the tip, you should be able to rotate with that as a pivot point.  If the rotation is based on elevation or other (static) factor, you would probably want to calculate that first. If it is random, i.e. based on wind at the moment, that would be done at the time I assume.  just some thoughts.