How are points in a Shortlist Story Map Tab ordered?

Jump to solution
09-13-2016 10:12 AM
JustinSmith
New Contributor II

I performed a bulk load to an existing feature class where these newly added features will be part of a new tab in the existing shortlist story map.  They in no way appear in the order they were in for the load.  They also are not ordered by ObjectID, not by Name, not by sort field, etc.  Really they are not in any order that makes any logical sense (as far as I can see).  Why is this?  How are these features generally ordered?  Is a Sort field useful in this particular application like it is in Story Map Tour?  Do these records have to be ordered one at a time instead of a bulk copy and paste load?

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Justin

The places in a data-driven Shortlist tab are ordered based on the record order in which they appear in the layer's attribute table. You can also optionally add a numeric field called NUMBER that contains the order you want to apply to the places. When the Shortlist reads your data and finds a field called NUMBER, it will use it instead of the table record order. This enables you to control the number for each place via a field and override the record order. 

Rules for the NUMBER field:

• If you are using separate layers for each of your Shortlist tabs, the NUMBER field values will be unique in each layer.
  • If you are using a single layer (our recommended workflow) to define all your Shortlist tabs (i.e. using the TAB_NAME field to specify which tab each place is in), the NUMBER field values will be unique for the places of each TAB_NAME value. So if your single layer defines three tabs, there will be three records with a NUMBER field value of 1, one for each tab. The order in which the tabs will be shown in the Shortlist is based on the actual record order of the TAB_NAME field, not the order defined by the NUMBER field.

This applies to Shortlist 1.x and also the updated Shortlist 2.0 we are about to release when you create a Shortlist using existing point data. But the new version's interactive builder makes place management much easier, so with the version you don't need to manage your ordering using fields at all and can drag and drop.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are they not loaded in the order they were loaded? or created?  I guess you need to explain the bulk copy and paste process

0 Kudos
JustinSmith
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

They don't seem to be.  They are loaded into a pre-production sde dataset.  That is replicated to the sde main production dataset as well as a File Geodatabase that contains the data that our web maps consume.  I don't have the privileges to view the FGDB dataset so I am not sure how the records are ordered in there when compared to the main production.  I have been told the maps orders them based on their order in the table but this really isn't the case.  

To explain the bulk copy and paste load, I just started an edit session with the pre-production sde dataset.  Next I highlighted all of the new tab records from the local feature class, pressed copy in the arcgis tools, then pasted it to the pre-production dataset.  So instead of adding one record at a time, I added them all at once.  Then I saved my pre-production sde dataset and waited for to be replicated to the File Geodatabase the web map consumes.  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Justin,

I would recommend waiting one more day before doing any more work on your Shortlist -- we're releasing an all new Shortlist with a builder that will be available tomorrow on ArcGIS Online (as opposed to only a code download that you need to host yourself).

You can import your existing Shortlist web map and easily reorder the points by dragging and dropping them in the new version. 😉

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Wow, that's awesome! Cool graphic too!

0 Kudos
JustinSmith
New Contributor II

Great, thanks Owen.  The current web map and data is located in the City of Calgary's enterprise GIS so there is a possibility that may not be as easy as it sounds.  We will see!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Justin

The places in a data-driven Shortlist tab are ordered based on the record order in which they appear in the layer's attribute table. You can also optionally add a numeric field called NUMBER that contains the order you want to apply to the places. When the Shortlist reads your data and finds a field called NUMBER, it will use it instead of the table record order. This enables you to control the number for each place via a field and override the record order. 

Rules for the NUMBER field:

• If you are using separate layers for each of your Shortlist tabs, the NUMBER field values will be unique in each layer.
  • If you are using a single layer (our recommended workflow) to define all your Shortlist tabs (i.e. using the TAB_NAME field to specify which tab each place is in), the NUMBER field values will be unique for the places of each TAB_NAME value. So if your single layer defines three tabs, there will be three records with a NUMBER field value of 1, one for each tab. The order in which the tabs will be shown in the Shortlist is based on the actual record order of the TAB_NAME field, not the order defined by the NUMBER field.

This applies to Shortlist 1.x and also the updated Shortlist 2.0 we are about to release when you create a Shortlist using existing point data. But the new version's interactive builder makes place management much easier, so with the version you don't need to manage your ordering using fields at all and can drag and drop.

CurtisWursten1
New Contributor II

I'm also having problems with this in the new Shortlist 2.0.  I imported my point data from a previous shortlist webmap and I added a few new points.  In my first map tab the points are out of order when I use the left and right arrow to navigate in the side window.  I suspect that it imported using the OID field to sort by and not my custom number field.  I also added some new points which further changed the order.  Do I need to start over and not import data, and instead just manually add my data?  Is there anyway to get it to sort the way I have organized it manually in the shortlist builder.

Here is a link to my webmap.

http://utahcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=a033de2eb1bb43e8a55265c3acf13dc9 

Thanks,

Curtis

0 Kudos
CurtisWursten1
New Contributor II

I'm not sure what fixed it but it is working now.  I used the Organize button to change the order to an incorrect order and then changed the order back to the correct order and it fixed it.  The right arrow now advances to the points 1,2, 3, 4...   Previously it had advanced in the order 1, 2, 10, 8, 7... eventhough it appeared correct in the numbered list.  The order must have needed to be reset or something.  I also tried to reorder it in the webmap but I don't think that is what fixed it.

0 Kudos