Internet Explorer Cascade Story Map Issues

Jump to solution
09-14-2016 01:04 PM
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

I am using the Beta version of the Cascade story map.  The title page text is not adjusting to the screen size appropriately.  the title remains one line and runs off the screen.  This is not occurring in Chrome.  Is anyone else having this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the additional info Brad! An option to adjust the margins would be useful, so we are considering that for a future release.

However, I'd challenge your perception that limiting the length of story is most helpful to your readers. We're thinking about publishing a blog or "How to Cascade" story about this, but what our team's research and experience shows is that readers get more fatigued reading wide blocks of text than they do scrolling through a story. Newspapers and magazines have always used narrow columns rather than lines of text that go all the way across the page, and the clear direction of modern web design is narrower text blocks and taller pages to improve readability and focus.

We also recommend using left-aligned text for paragraphs. Centered text is ok for headings or short quotes, but giving readers an anchor point for their eyes to go back to at the end of each line is much less fatiguing than center-aligned text where each line starts in a different vertical position.

Check out popular news websites or blogs (NY Times, Medium, etc.) and you'll see these design principles at work.

Hope this is helpful!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for reporting this. It is a bug and we've got a fix for it that we plan to deploy tonight. Please try your story again on Friday and let me know if you still are seeing that issue.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bradley,

Wanted to check in on this -- is your story working now?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

Owen,

This problem has been resolved. However I am still having issues with the text color. Whether or not I use the color selector, hex code, or move the point around some of the text will not retain the color after selecting “choose”. It seems pretty variable. Some sections of text will change, others will not. The text also seems a bit darker in IE than in Chrome.

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bradley,

We have also seen that issue with applying color and hope to get that patched tonight (Monday, Sep 19).

I don't see a difference in the default font color on IE or Chrome -- could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

Owen,

The color difference seems to be minimal (see image Chrome on left and IE on right), but I am happy to hear you will have the color issue resolved. I really appreciate your responsiveness.

Thank You,

Brad

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Bradley -- we did a eyedropper color test and the colors are the same; however, browsers can alias fonts differently so that is likely accounting for the difference.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

Owen,

It seems that the text color issue has been resolved for the text for the most part. The general text is maintaining the color choice at this point. However, it seems that the image captions are not having the same success. Although it is showing Black 000, the text still seems to be gray (see images attached). You can really see the difference between the title color and the caption text. This is occurring in both IE and Chrome. Is this currently a limitation of the captions?

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Bradley,

Yes, that's a current limitation of captions. We've styled the captions to be a bit lighter with opacity so that they are distinguishable from other story text. However, we realize that this makes the color picker not work as expected in your case -- we'll look to improve that in a future release.

Is there a specific government regulation or corporate policy you are trying to adhere to by making black captions or is this just a stylistic decision for your story?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

Owen,

It is more of a style choice – primarily because the standard text option margins are so large it makes the document significantly longer… and well someone viewing the content may get tired of constantly scrolling. In an effort to work around this, the captions have the ability to be as wide as the images, greatly reducing the length of the overall product. I actually don’t mind the color difference, and I completely understand it, but limiting the length of the product to something easily digestible is the most important issue. If there was a functionality to make the margins wider that would really be helpful. To get an idea of what I am discussing, here is the link to the current story map: http://arcg.is/2cpn9II If you compare the second page text to the image captions you will see the major difference in width utilization.

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos