Picture Marker Symbol Errors

Jump to solution
09-15-2016 08:38 AM
SeanO_Brien
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a Picture Marker Symbol for a state highway shield. I decided on a .emf format, and when I bring it into the map it looks fine (MXD_View.JPG). However, when I export it and open the .pdf there is an issue. When I'm in landscape orientation, the symbols on the right side of the map will only show up as white boxes instead of the picture marker symbol (Landscape_Error_EMF_8_5x11.pdf). This also happens when I'm in different size map (Landscape_Error_EMF_11x17.JPG)  However, when I'm in portrait, everything shows up fine (Portrait_Export.pdf). I also tried converting the symbol to a .jpg and a .bmp, but those have the same issue and also show up transparent (JPG_Error.pdf). Any suggestions on what's going on and how to fix it? Maybe there's an alternative way to go about this?

Some info to note:

I'm running 10.3.1, but this issue happens on my coworker's computer who is running 10.4.1

I've tried playing around with all the .pdf export options with no success (PDF_Options.jpg)

I've tried using layer files and shapefiles

This happens if I try to insert the shield as a stand-alone picture in the .mxd

This happens when I export to jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I have seen something like this happen in cases where the layout extends beyond the default printer's default settings. To get around it you can try setting the default printer on your computer so that its page size and orientation match the page size and orientation of your layout.

Basically, it seems to be using the printer's default page size and orientation for some of the calculations. So things that fall outside where that portrait lettersize page would be don't all get exported correctly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I have seen something like this happen in cases where the layout extends beyond the default printer's default settings. To get around it you can try setting the default printer on your computer so that its page size and orientation match the page size and orientation of your layout.

Basically, it seems to be using the printer's default page size and orientation for some of the calculations. So things that fall outside where that portrait lettersize page would be don't all get exported correctly.

SeanO_Brien
New Contributor III

This seems to work. It's a little unfortunate that I have to set my default page size large enough for a poster map, but if there's no other way around it then that's what I'll have to do. Thanks.

0 Kudos