Tired of ArcGIS Pro bugs, how can I get new Layouts into ArcMap?

09-15-2016 02:01 PM
DanielMatranga
New Contributor III

How can I export layouts that I've made in ArcGIS Pro into a file format (such as MXD) that can be fed back into ArcMap? Is there a way to do this?

I am using the latest release of ArcGIS Pro (1.3.1), and while some of the old bugs were fixed in this release, plenty of old bugs still exist, and new ones have appeared that I just don't have time to report. Really growing tired of losing symbology changes randomly, sudden crashes, legend issues, alignment issues, etc., etc.

23 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The only export options are listed here Export a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

none of which include saving to an arcmap format.  You have to keep Pro work in Pro for the most part.

DanielMatranga
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, this is a real bummer. Was hoping there might be something hidden in ArcPy or something but oh well.

And I'm realizing now also that I can't save my layers out and import them into ArcMap since they save as .LYRX files instead of .LYR files.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Daniel... sorry, no bamboo.

For now... it is a parallel universe akin to the ArcView/ArcMap transition years.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, like Dan said, Pro stuff stays in Pro. Same goes for other things like your project. It would be nice if there was a Pro Project to MXD conversion....

BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

I am also tired of all the bugs!!!!! Please fix!!!!

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Daniel,

Rest assured we hear you and we strive to fix lots of bugs each release.  

Please _report_ any bugs you find to Esri Support.  We can't fix them if you don't tell us about them - and reporting them gives them a lifecycle (you get a tracking number) and also lets other users affected by same issues add their reports, which increases priority of repair.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jeremy,

Good answer. I think this needs to be a blanket answer to many grumblings we hear on the GeoNet. Is there an "easy" report button that people can utilize for reporting bugs? Or is it best to work through the support team to hopefully come to a solution? (Or is the "easy" report button basically the GeoNet?)

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Adrian,

How would you like to report a bug?  On the front page of http://support.esri.com are many methods to contact support.  

To wit: you can use email, interactive online chat, or direct phone calls.   

I'm in the trenches on the development teams - so I'm a little removed from the website and support tiers, but as far as I know Geonet is (like esri forums before it) primarily a user-to-user resource, though many Esri staff do keep an eye on it as a matter of their day to day work.  

Bottom line is if you want a bug to be resolved, we need to have a report of it through support.

What does that mean for you, the users?

1.  Error reports: if you get a crash report dialog, put in your email and other info about the repro case if you know it.  Development does respond to users on occasion (no, not everyone) to gather more information about a particular crash.  If the dmp is too big to send via the normal reporting mechanism, please email it to us.  

FUN FACT: at Esri's major conferences (DevSummit, EsriUC) we collect error reports from each machine at the Esri showcase directly so we can triage and prosecute any errors encountered by users or employees during the conference at the showcase.

2.  When you encounter a bug, SEND IT IN to Esri support through whatever means necessary.  We have extensive tests, including literally thousands of automated tests over many many different harnesses that are run on multiple platforms, databases, and web browsers, and we also conduct in-house testing in our first-floor holistic lab as well many times a week.  We test the dickens out of ArcGIS Pro and indeed all our products, but sometimes what it takes to repro a bug is users' unique data, perspective, or workflow.  If that issue is not reported, it's a tree falling in the woods.  DO NOT just report it on geonet - send it to support.

Even if you find out that it's already been reported, support tracks the number of times a particular issue is reported and regularly audits those issues for development to prosecute based on demand factors.

Hopefully this info is helpful to you folks here.  Thanks!

Regards,

Jeremy W.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

WHat would also help Jeremy is a portion of the list of 'functionality' that is currently not available.  There is one for 'tools not available', but that is a different pot.  More questions are on functionality that is missing, since a number of people equate Pro to being 'better'.  This is particularly true of those who dominant or sole purpose is to produce maps.

0 Kudos