Modifying Python code

09-16-2016 12:42 PM
NoelAlfonso
New Contributor

I have a tool for batch map output (ArcMap 10.2) that was written for me by a volunteer.  I need to modify the code for a publisher to embed document fonts and convert marker symbols to polygons in an EPS file.

Original code:    arcpy.mapping.ExportToEPS(mxd,saveloc + ".eps",data_frame = "PAGE_LAYOUT",resolution = res)

Modified code:   arcpy.mapping.ExportToEPS(mxd,saveloc + ".eps",data_frame = "PAGE_LAYOUT",resolution =                                           res, convert_markers = True, embed_fonts = True)

Do you think that this might work?  Thank you in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Noel,

It might help if you move this thread to the Python‌ place and it might help if you post more of your code so people can see what some of the variables are referencing.

Have you tried your modified code yet?

Here is the help topic for the tool you're wanting to use

ExportToEPS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

At the bottom, there is an example you could look at for reference.

0 Kudos
NoelAlfonso
New Contributor

Thanks, Adrian.   The page that you sent the link for is where I found the modifications that I think I need.  I don't think I need to post more of the code in the tool as there are no variables in that particular line.  

I have not run the modified code yet.

Noel

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Hey Noel!  The convert_markers=True would definitely make a difference since the default is false.  It never hurts to specify variables with their value, even if their value is indeed the same.  There is a downside in this particular case, which may or may not have an impact on the resultant.

However, setting this parameter to True disables font embedding for all character-based marker symbols, which can result in a change in their appearance.

You will have to do a comparison if you use character-based marker symbols.  If you aren't using them, then there should be no issue.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Noel https://community.esri.com/community/developers/gis-developers/python?sr=search&searchId=f6ac0fdb-11...‌ is the more widely view Place to post python questions https://community.esri.com/groups/python-snippets?sr=search&searchId=982c0cf3-0206-417f-9817-c5c351d...‌ is fine, but you may find it has a smaller audience but they do tend to participate in the former as well

0 Kudos