Convert Coordinate Notation

09-18-2016 10:49 PM
PaulDoherty3
Occasional Contributor

How could I have missed such a useful tool that has been in ArcMap since 10.1? 

ArcGIS Pro Convert Coordinate Notation—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop  

ArcMap Convert Coordinate Notation—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

This can save you a lot of time, especially for those of us working with aircraft that use degrees decimal minutes (DDM). When I was a Ranger in Yosemite I used to do all of the equations in Excel to make it work, but that is not really optimal. 

Example - You get an Excel spreadsheet of helicopter landing locations or local placenames in DDM but need to plot it on a map. ArcGIS and most mapping software are driven by databases and really prefer to plot decimal degrees (DD) or grid based coordinates (USNG / MGRS, UTM, etc.). 

1. Use Excel to Table to create a table we can use in ArcGIS Desktop / ArcGIS Pro Excel To Table—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop 

2. Use the Convert Coordinate Notation Tool Convert Coordinate Notation—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop 

This tool will plot your points (if geometry is correct) on the map and add the fields in your new coordinate format. 

3. (Optional) Publish it as a web map! Share a web map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

4. (Optional) Use a web mapping application to allow the team to correct existing locations and add new ones to the layer (so you don't have to geocode the spreadsheet next time!). I would suggest Web AppBuilder or the very simple Edit configurable template. Create apps from maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Example: http://arcg.is/2cBm4OB 

Please leave me some feedback below if any of this is unclear or if you find this tip helpful. 

0 Replies