File Geodatabase: Data Type Unknown

Jump to solution
09-20-2016 12:36 PM
AmyRose
New Contributor III

Hello,

A couple of computers are able to open a pmf file but the file geodatabase features are not viewable. Shapefiles and online data show up fine.

When I looked at the data source I noticed that the Data Type shows up as "Unknown" but when looking at the same ArcReader pmf on my computer I see that the Data Type is File Geodatabase Feature Class. See below.

We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ArcReader on the person's computer and it still would not read the filegeodatabase.  The data is local to the machine as well as the pmf file.

Any suggestions?

Amy

problem computer: 

my computer:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmyRose
New Contributor III

In case anyone else has this problem.  

Problem:  ArcReader 10.0 would open a pmf made using ArcMap 10.0 but would not recognize the data from file geodatabases.

Solution: Uninstall ArcReader 10.0 and Install ArcReader 10.1.  ArcReader 10.1 opened the pmf file published with ArcMap 10.0 and was able to see the file geodatabase sources.

What we tried BEFORE upgrading to ArcReader 10.1:

We tried the following on computers that had ArcReader 10.0 that could not view file geodatabase data in a 10.0 pmf.  The file geodatabase was local to their machine. (We also tried with the file geodatabase being on a network and it didn't work either.)

1. We tried uninstalling and re-installing ArcReader 10.0.

2. We tried a clean uninstall using instructions from ESRI support: It involves deleting registry keys so I advise calling ESRI support. Then re-installed ArcReader 10.0.  Still 10.0 could not view the file geodatabase.  It could still view shapefiles and online sources.

3. We tried using a repair tool for .NET from Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center  This didn't work either.

Hope this helps someone,

Amy Rose

Senior GIS Analyst, Stormwater

City of Dallas

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyRose
New Contributor III

In case anyone else has this problem.  

Problem:  ArcReader 10.0 would open a pmf made using ArcMap 10.0 but would not recognize the data from file geodatabases.

Solution: Uninstall ArcReader 10.0 and Install ArcReader 10.1.  ArcReader 10.1 opened the pmf file published with ArcMap 10.0 and was able to see the file geodatabase sources.

What we tried BEFORE upgrading to ArcReader 10.1:

We tried the following on computers that had ArcReader 10.0 that could not view file geodatabase data in a 10.0 pmf.  The file geodatabase was local to their machine. (We also tried with the file geodatabase being on a network and it didn't work either.)

1. We tried uninstalling and re-installing ArcReader 10.0.

2. We tried a clean uninstall using instructions from ESRI support: It involves deleting registry keys so I advise calling ESRI support. Then re-installed ArcReader 10.0.  Still 10.0 could not view the file geodatabase.  It could still view shapefiles and online sources.

3. We tried using a repair tool for .NET from Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center  This didn't work either.

Hope this helps someone,

Amy Rose

Senior GIS Analyst, Stormwater

City of Dallas