Incorporating Breaklines: Terrain Datasets

09-21-2016 12:04 AM
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to incorporate breaklines along canals and unlined rivers so that the elevation between the breaklines is filled based on the breaklines. I've tried to follow the concept that ESRI describes within the following help article:  Incorporate breaklines with LiDAR. The article doesn't explain in detail the requirements of the feature class that will be used within the LiDAR to achieve the following. 

The approach that I've used so far is to generate polylines that represent the location of the breaklines that I wish to use within my Terrain. I then used 3D Analyst tool: Interpolate Shape. to extract the elevation levels from the terrain. I then added the following to my Terrain as SFType : Hardline. 

My current results don't represent the results that I'm expecting that is explained within the  Incorporate breaklines with LiDAR documentation. 

Current Results with breaklines, canals are not filled

Incorporate breaklines with LiDAR documentation: Filled River Section.

Any help in what step that I'm missing the achieve the following will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok... I got stuck on the fact that your main figure had nothing to do with the example features. My question derives from

The most efficient means of organizing breaklines is to separate them into different feature classes based on surface feature type (SFType). Surface feature types control how the features are enforced in the model and how the natural neighbor interpolator interprets the surface as it crosses over these features.

Were the breaklines there during the interpolation process? or are you just showing them for reference?

0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dan

I added them afterwards and rebuilt the Terrain Dataset. I'm not sure if the polylines are mean't to be closed or open on either end of the river\canal.

0 Kudos