Timeslider and One-to Many Relationships

09-22-2016 05:32 AM
RachelMurphy
New Contributor II

I'm wanting to create a one-to-many relationship to use in ArcMap's timeslider (I am using ArcMap 10.4). I am showing information about land parcels and how the land use changed over time. I  have created a polygon layer and the the polygons remain the same throughout.

The temporal data is in an Excel file structured PLACENAME/LANDUSE/DATE_STARTS/DATE_ENDS with PLACENAME being the common attribute between the Excel file and the polygon feature class.

I initially thought I would need to create a relate but from reading this page it seems that it might be possible to achieve what I need using a join http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/map/time/temporal-data-in-separate-tables.htm

However, when I try this only the first record relating to that polygon is displayed, the subsequent ones are missing. In case it was to do with the Excel file, I converted the excel file into a table which is now stored in the geodatabase but I am still having the same problem.

Grateful for any suggestions as to how I should approach this?  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Are you willing to load your data into a geodatabase you could use Make Query Table—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to accomplish what your after.

RachelMurphy
New Contributor II

Yes, all the data is in a geodatabase so I will try this, thank you.

0 Kudos
RachelMurphy
New Contributor II

Just to say that Make Query Table is the perfect solution, but it took me several hours of trying to actually have any success.  I kept getting an error message at the very end of the process of creating a query table, no matter whose instructions I was following. Finally I came across this step-by-step guide, and in the comments section a couple of people said that in order for this to work they had to remove the inverted commas that the SQL tool automatically inserts.  I had assumed that the tool would provide the correct syntax, but as soon as I removed the inverted commas it worked perfectly. Steps are here: A Quick Tip on Performing a 1:M Join | Support Services Blog - just remove the inverted commas that are automatically inserted when you get to step 3 - hopefully this will save time for someone else.

0 Kudos