Web App Authorization for particular users in a map

09-22-2016 02:06 AM
BugraOtken
New Contributor III

Hi all!

As a mapping company, we are programming GIS for municipalities. As you know, there are lots of users in a formation like municipalities. Let's say that we are programming a cemetery mapping system. In a department that is responsible for burials, there will be a bunch of users who is going to use our mapping system.

What we want is, particular users among this department will be able to see our "editing widget" and can use it but the other users apart from these particular users neither see nor use the editing widget. For example, there will be 5 widget in total and 9 users going to see and use 4 of these widgets (select, print, analyze, create report widgets) but 1 user is going to see and use "edit widget".

How can we solve this problem in Web AppBuilder?

Thank you in advance!

Buğra

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

There isn't that kind of authorization at the widget level.  I think you would be looking at creating two separate Web App builder applications; one for viewers and one for editors.

BugraOtken
New Contributor III

Thank you for your answer Mr. Scott,

Creating a different application for every authorization may result in dozens of applications and this doesn't seems to be a manageable structure. How do you handle this issue?

0 Kudos
LeonS
by

I understand your point about managing multiple applications that have a lot of overlapping functionality. It doesn't seem too efficient.  With Web App builder, you are managing multiple configurations against the same code base.  Yes, you are deploying multiple applications, but you aren't managing code for each of them; just the configuration files.  I only have a few configurations that I am currently maintaining, so this hasn't been an issue. 

Leon

ScottFierro2

This is exactly the structure we have adopted. Our viewer is the read-only access and then we authenticate our users that need to edit and they use a separate editor app. We tried to determine a way around this either within the app's or by somehow using IIS but thus far we have not found any alternatives.

0 Kudos
BugraOtken
New Contributor III

Thank you again for your answers dear Scotts,

It may be efficient for 1 editor and 1 role but when there are 10-20 different roles, do we have to create 10-20 applications? It doesn't seem to be a manageable structure either.

Isn't there any better solution for this?

0 Kudos