time slider labels

09-22-2016 09:30 AM
KiraNelson
New Contributor

I'm trying to build a story map that shows sea level rise, using the map journal template and an embedded Time Aware web map . The time slider plays out the mounting levels of rise and looks good. My problem is the specific levels are very hard to distinguish because there are no labels on the time slider showing which level you are at (14ft NAVD, 14.5ft NAVD, etc).

It seems the only formats available are date/time, and i can't figure out a way to adapt normal numbers into the date/time options available (especially since I have one level that is a 3-digit decimal). Any ideas? 

*the field i'm using to drive the time slider is a 4-digit numeric. i made the levels look like years so it would ascend properly. ex: 1400, 1450, 1500...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Kira,

Can you share your app or web map? How is your sea level data displayed? Vector or raster data

Would labeling or adding a legend help to display this data?

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KiraNelson
New Contributor

The data is displayed in polygons showing areas inundated by flooding, and polygons showing buildings affected by the flooding. The area covered by flooding and the structures affected expand as the slider moves right.

I tried using labels, and also have a legend showing the levels of rise, but remains pretty counterintuitive to have a timeline bar without labeling, asking people to either count the bars or guess what each level is. The info in the legend is what i would like to be able to incrementally display on the slider. 

Thanks for any input!

time slider without labeling

legend showing levels of sea rise

0 Kudos