Filter widget: displaying subtype descriptions

09-24-2016 08:22 PM
FahadDalbouh
New Contributor II

Hello All,

I have one question in regard to the filter widget. I have a file geodatabase which has one feature class that contain subtypes and domains. A feature service has been created from this geodatabase on Arc-Map and published it to ArcGIS Online for use in collecting information from the public. A web map also has been created with this feature service on ArcGIS Online using ArcGIS for Web AppBuilder (integrated edition). The Filter widget was set to provide a list of cities and a list of types of cultural asset. So, the user has to select the city first from a list domain and then select the type of cultural asset from a subtype filed. The issue is with the subtype field, which displays only the coded value rather than the description of the coded subtype. I would like the user to see the description of the coded subtype instead of the value coded. Is there any way to do that ?.  A screenshot of the problem is in the attached word document.

Thanks in advance,

Fahad

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Fahad,

Because you are using the online version of WAB you are using the latest 2.2 version. That means this is an issue that needs to be reported to Esri tech support to be fixed in the next release.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Fahad,

> The issue is with the subtype field, which displays only the coded value rather than the description of the coded subtype. I would like the user to see the description of the coded subtype instead of the value coded.

FYI, this is a known limitation of feature layers in ArcGIS Online. Please review this Esri KnowledgeBase article,

Problem: Unable to view domains for a feature layer enabled with coded value domains in a web map 

Hope this helps,

FahadDalbouh
New Contributor II

Hi Robert and Derek,

Thanks for both responses. I reviewed the article you posted above which is good if you don't have different domains that are associated with each subtype. However, In my application, I have two widgets: editor and filter widgets. If the user started to add a new feature, the subtype field in the edit template works perfectly and shows the description of the coded value but it doesn't work the same with the filter widget. I don't know why?

Anyway, thank you for your concern.

0 Kudos
QunSun
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi Fahad,

Normally, Filter can show descriptions for coded values.

You can try service Layer: Facilities (ID: 0) 

Field facility has codedValue domain.

WAB can show the descriptions as the following screenshot.

Just as dlaw-esristaff‌ said, this is a limition of ArcGIS Online hosted feature service. ArcGIS Online hosted feature service loses domain descriptions when you publish service.

You can publish a feature service by ArcGIS Server and have a try.