Two questions regarding layers in the shortlist app

Jump to solution
09-26-2016 01:26 AM
NiklasKrave
New Contributor

Hello! I really like the shortlist application but I have some questions regarding what is possible with layers and how to make it work. I have been looking at the new 2.0.1 version as well as the 1.4.9 version and as far as I can tell there seems to be some features in both I am interested in utilizing that isn't available in both. 

1. For the application I want to create it would be great if the point layer containing the locations in the shortlist is editable from outside Arcgis online. This seems to be possible in the 1.4.9 version but is there any way to do this in the 2.0.1 version? For example through a set up between Arcgis server and Arcgis online or is the only solution to change the application based on for example an updated CSV-file to recreate the application in the builder? 
  2. In the 2.0.1 version there seems to be support for showing support layers like a polygon layer only in certain tabs through TAB_SPECIFIC_SUPPORT_LAYERS but I have not gotten this to work as I am not sure how to correctly reference my tabs and corresponding support layers. I have tried following the instructions: "tab1: ['Neighborhoods', 'Beaches', 'TrolleyStations']" but I am not sure if I am supposed to use tab1, the tab index instead of tab1 or the tab name instead of tab1? Similarly I am not sure how to correctly reference the support layers,  is 'Neighborhoods' simply a reference to the name of a layer in the web map for the shortlist applications or is it defined somewhere else? 
  3. Is the support for TAB_SPECIFIC_SUPPORT_LAYERS a new feature in the 2.0.1 version or is there a similar function in the 1.4.9 version? 

I would be very thankful for any answers on any of these questions!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Niklas,

1.  Currently there is not a way to really edit the data for Shortlist outside of ArcGIS Online.  You can start with a csv, add it to a web map, then build a new Shortlist, but once the Shortlist is created, you would need to use the builder to edit.  We do have plans to allow an author to point their Shortlist to a Feature Service, or external csv, and allow all editing to the places data to occur outside of the Shortlist builder.

2/3.  The tab specific supporting layers is currently not hooked up in either version, but is on the road map for Shortlist 2.x.

-Mark

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Niklas,

1.  Currently there is not a way to really edit the data for Shortlist outside of ArcGIS Online.  You can start with a csv, add it to a web map, then build a new Shortlist, but once the Shortlist is created, you would need to use the builder to edit.  We do have plans to allow an author to point their Shortlist to a Feature Service, or external csv, and allow all editing to the places data to occur outside of the Shortlist builder.

2/3.  The tab specific supporting layers is currently not hooked up in either version, but is on the road map for Shortlist 2.x.

-Mark

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Niklas

For your issue 1 (allow Shortlist to display the contents of a web map and reflect changes on that map made outside the Shortlist Builder) we have now added that option to Story Map Shortlist beta 2.0. Please see this response in this other thread: https://community.esri.com/thread/189575-adding-new-locations-to-shortlist#comment-670301 

Rupert

0 Kudos