1.8.21 cascading select stopped working, stopped showing relevant items

Jump to solution
09-28-2016 11:09 AM
Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Cascading selects not longer working in Survey123 version 1.8.21 on Android.

Not enforcing display of relevant items that do display properly in 1.7 version.

Nothing in Blog about Android update

Google play states it was updated September 27, 2016 Size 15M Version1.8.21 Requires Android4.1 and up

iOS Appstore is still Version 1.7.20

Windows phone is Version number: 1.7.20.0

Help, rolling back? I have a training today with partners from out of town.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joseph_Kinyon

Ismael and James,

Confirming that your solution worked.

When I removed the default value for the species choice on the External Select and published updated form it worked correctly.

Any default value for the cascading select that referred to the csv file causes the problem.

This is true if the value is in the external choice list or not.

Also, I tested if data type matching was a problem (for example if it is text in an integer answer)

In hindsight, if the choice has not been instantiated yet I don't necessarily need a default answer, so I will see if a calculation once the element exists on the users form will be a work around.

Thanks so much for your insights!

Best wishes with the release and update of 1.8

Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Can you provide a copy of your survey?  I have cascading selects in my samples successfully loading.  We also have been working with relevant examples that are working correctly.

We are in the process of pushing out the 1.8 release; the Android store received it first as there is no review time.  Our documentation will be updating today.

Joseph_Kinyon

Sent directly to you. Ismael copied.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Joseph!

please remove the default value from the External Select and the survey will continue working. Making this change will not cause any changes in your feature service and as such, any data you captured will not be lost.  As James described above we are about to make the announcement on 1.8 (in the next few hours).  Will update doc, setups and apps in all stores shortly.

For clarity, default values in cascading or external selects are not supported. A fair question is to ask if a default value should make your survey stop working (like in your case) or if the app should simply ignore  the default value.  We will add to our backlog a  note to revisit this in the  future.

Ismael

Joseph_Kinyon

Ismael and James,

Confirming that your solution worked.

When I removed the default value for the species choice on the External Select and published updated form it worked correctly.

Any default value for the cascading select that referred to the csv file causes the problem.

This is true if the value is in the external choice list or not.

Also, I tested if data type matching was a problem (for example if it is text in an integer answer)

In hindsight, if the choice has not been instantiated yet I don't necessarily need a default answer, so I will see if a calculation once the element exists on the users form will be a work around.

Thanks so much for your insights!

Best wishes with the release and update of 1.8

Joe

0 Kudos