Order of layers in your ArcGIS Online Web Map

09-27-2016 01:29 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=4063465f-44d6-46f9-...

As we all know: "Layers are always displayed on top of a basemap and feature layers are always displayed on top of heat maps and tileset layers (map, imagery, and tiles). Depending on the type of layers you have in your map, you may not be able to move them all up or down. For example, if you have one map layer and three feature layers, you can reorder the feature layers, but you cannot move the map layer on top of them. You cannot reorder a KML layer or a basemap."

I am currently working with WFS services, WMTS services, Feature Services and Map Image Layers within the same web map, and I would like to be able to order the Map Image Layer on top of WFS services (without having to create a Feature Service to replace this Map Service - too many features)

Any work around?

Any plans on changing this ordering limitation in the next AGOL release?

Thanks!

Alix

16 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Alix,

Is this a cached map image layer? If it isn't you can add the specific layer as a feature layer to the map without republishing to add the features above the WFS layer. To do this, add the specific layer:

http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/NapervilleShelters/MapServer/0

Instead of the map service:

http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/NapervilleShelters/MapServer

-Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kelly,

Thank you for your reply.

I had previously tried this option, but I have observed that the WFS is still slow to load even though it has been initially published as a map service and not as a feature service.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alix

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Alix,

Is the issue that you can't re-order the layers or that they are slow to load?

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kelly,

Actually I have both issues

But the one I am addressing in this post is that it is not possible to put Map Image or Tiled Layers or Services on top of Feature Searvices including WFS.

I know that this is a current AGOL limitation, and I am hoping that in a future release we will be able to re-order any type of layers in any possible way!

Thank you for reaching back to me,

Alix

KellyGerrow

Thanks Alix,

This won't be addressed in the upcoming release of ArcGIS Online but I've added your request to my requirement. Can you provide some additional information about your layers and what the map service is that you want to place on top of the feature layer? Some improvements to tile layers will be made in the upcoming release which may provide some other options for you.

If it's a layer like a labelling layer, you can add the layer to the basemap and set the map image as a reference layer. This may get you up and running for the time being.

Choose basemap—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kelly,

Sorry for the late answer here.

Most of the time, my web maps will contain a variety of layer types such as: feature services, map services, hosted feature services, tile layers (map or vector), ...

And the rule is that feature services must always sit on top of map services. There is always a way to work around this by playiong with the way the data is published (AGOL as a feature service or a map tile, or directly onto a GIS server).

I have also tested your suggestion of moving a layer to the basemap - it can be a useful solution for some situations.

But the capability of being able to organize layers in any possible order desppite their type (feature or image layer) would save some handeling time.

I will be looking forward to seeing this happening in a near future, as it may simplify some of my workflows.

Alix

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This would be super useful. Since the order of the pop-ups go through the order of the TOC, being able to move Map Services above Feature Services is an absolute necessity on our end. 

KellyGerrow

Hi Andrew,

Are you taking advantage of the full map service that is being added to your web map or individual layers. If you are dependent on the export map request for something like group layers, then the map service will be drawn under the feature layers. If you add each layer individually as a feature layer from the map service, then you will be able to visualize in the order you requested.

Note: Pop ups don't have a specific order that they display in like the TOC. They are displayed in the order that the requests return.

Edit July 2018: Pop Ups do display in a specific order. With feature layers, the pop ups will display in an order corresponding with the feature layers in the Table of Contents. Map Image Layers and tile layers do not fall within this order.

Let us know how you are using the layers and what functionality of the export map request you are using is.

-Kelly

CarolWickenheiser2
New Contributor II

"Pop-ups don't have a specific order..." - so, is there any way to control which popup is first? if it's the order that the requests return, would it be fair to say that the less 'complicated' pop-up would return first?  I have a webmap with two layers, one has a configured popup with an html link, the other has attributes, many of which I have aliased in the web map attribute configurations.  Could this be why the attribute configuration popup is showing up underneath the html link?  I've been struggling with map TOC layers but maybe that's not the issue...

0 Kudos