How to extract a bigger raster with a smaller raster in the way that the bigger raster has NoData where the smaller raster cells are?

09-28-2016 07:15 AM
JuttaSchiller
New Contributor III

How to extract a bigger raster with a smaller raster in the way that the bigger raster has NoData where the smaller raster cells are?

I want to extract the raster cells from a big raster with the raster cells from a smaller raster which is overlapping with the bigger raster. Unfortunately, I cannot find a tool for that in ArcMap 10.3.1, but is there a way to do it? I do not want to subtract the values, but there should be noData in the new bigger raster where the bigger raster is overlapping with the smaller raster, like a hole in the bigger raster with the extent of the smaller one.  

I tried this:

Con(IsNull("smaller"),"bigger","bigger" == "smaller")

But I really need to put the values from the smaller raster extension into noData in the new raster.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

You were very close, try :

Con(IsNull("smaller"),"bigger", "smaller")

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Or if you actually want the hole...

Con(IsNull("smaller"),"bigger", SetNull("smaller"))

JuttaSchiller
New Contributor III

Cool, thank you! This is working: Con(IsNull("smaller"),"bigger", "smaller"), using 9999 as value for the smaller raster, than the tool ‘int’ and the tool ‘extract by attributes’. But there is another big problem now: The extension of the bigger raster is the same than the extension of the smaller raster. How can I fix this?

Thanks for responding  

0 Kudos
JuttaSchiller
New Contributor III

Okay, I fixed the problem by using the ModelBuilder and set the bigger raster as environments for extent, snap and mask.