Failed to Import mxd to ArcGIS Pro

09-28-2016 08:26 AM
LesiMai3
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I was trying to import .mxd created using ArcMap 10.4.1 to Pro 1.3. After selecting the map document, Pro just shuts down automatically. I tried importing .mxd created in ArcMap 10.2, and the same thing happened.

Did I miss something here? Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you!

18 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Question for you:  Is the *.mxd saved with the layout view open/primary window?  If so, switch to Data View, save the *.mxd, and attempt to import the *.mxd into Pro again.  What is the result?

LesiMai3
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

I originally did try to import .mxd saved with the layout view open. So I followed your suggestion and tried multiple .mxds saved with the data view open. But Pro still doesn't seem to be cooperating.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lesi -

Okay - save your *.mxd out to a new *.mxd document file.  Import the new one into Pro.  Another option is to use the MXD Doctor located in the Start>All Programs>ArcGIS>Desktop Tools and see if there's an issue with the *.mxd itself.

LesiMai3
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

I tried both approaches and it still doesn't work. To double check, I switched to another machine and imported the same .mxd. And this time, it works! So it's something on my end.

Thank you for all your help!

Lesi

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting.  Look over the system requirements for Pro - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_B0E8A... as well as the Can your computer run ArcGIS Pro? - http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/Client/Standard/?apikey=50F41142-39B0-4061-97C2-BA7B7FE43D0E&r...  Could help troubleshooting your PC.

LesiMai3
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, it's puzzling... I have Pro running on my machine for a while now. Everything seems fine so far except that I can't import .mxd. The computer passed system requirement checks. I may need to uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

A complete uninstall and reinstall of Pro might help.  Also, if you're on 1.3 of Pro, you may want to uninstall Python for Pro as well.  This was from 1.2 and earlier releases and is not needed for 1.3.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also having this same issue with several mxd's at 10.3 failing to import into Pro.

I have tried everything short of completely rebuilding them from scratch in Pro which I am avoiding doing if possible, however nothing has worked. I also tried saving the mxd up to 10.5 and that failed as well. I am finding very little information online and nothing within the application as to the reasoning why it is failing. Additionally, I have tried importing the same mxd's from more than machine (different Pro installs) still no luck.

This morning I upgraded to Pro 2.1, although that still failed to import. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you run MXD Doctor on the problematic mxds?

Also, are you trying to import complex mxds?  If so, maybe try a simpler mxd or create a simple mxd and see if the import works on that.

0 Kudos