Creating a layer from Excel or CSV to the Portal - no projection

09-29-2016 02:27 AM
SvivaManager
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, We have many users who works daily with excel speardsheets or csv files which containts coordinates but our basemaps are on a special SpatialReference (2039).

As from what I know, ESRI doesn't support this Spatial for Excel.

When Loading the files directly into a new map view in the portal, the map is able to do Projection and the data shows up fine as part of  the map.

When trying to load the data through Maps for office or any other way, such as uploading a new file to the personal content area, there is no Projection and the layer is created empty! / unavailable to show / corrupted.

I'm not sure if BUG is the right word but this is obviously wrong - if I can upload a file, I would expect him to show up on the map perfectly, otherwise I would expect an explanation for the problem rather than opening an investigation all the way to the documentation to find out the Spatial Reference isn't supported.

I cannot conitue use this as a work method and our users easily lose their interest when such a vital and basic operation is not available!

Is there anyone who can recommend on a way to load files with coordinates to the Portal as layer items?

The only 2 workarounds I can think of is a middleware tool to do one of the following:

1. Translate coordinates to Web Mercator

2. Translate coordinates to Addresses and let the Portal/Excel do the translation for coordinates

Any advice??

Kind Regards,

Shay.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I thought that all that "drag & drop" stuff in ArcMap for Office and similar, just assumes everything offered to it is in GCS_WGS84 (geographic decimals on WGS84).

I see that 2039 is the TM grid for Israel. Based on GRS_1980.

Israel TM to Web Mercator is something you would do within ArcMap I would have thought.

0 Kudos
SvivaManager

I wouldn't expect ESRI to give parial support for automated projection when using the Portal. If I can drag and drop or upload files to a map and see them showing up alright, I would expect this behaviour through all the Portal's screens.  The Portal is dedicated to "simple" users and not experts who needs to understand what projection means.. Very unprofessional in my opinion  

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Sorry, but I don't understand this comment - "Very unprofessional in my opinion".

What's unprofessional?

There are literally thousands of different coordinate systems around the world, and multiply that by the number of possible underlying datums....

It is impossible for the software to "guess" what sort of coordinates are being presented to it.

0 Kudos
SvivaManager

I understand that, but enabling the option to automatically project a file in the Portal for ArcGIS only in some screens at specific situations is like delivering a half working product. I need to explain my clients that if they want to load an Excel file with Israel's spatial data, they can only do so directly into the map window for it to work.. or first translate it to a different spatial and only then it will work.

Our default spatial reference for everything is 2039 and so far the Portal can handle it perfectly as long as the user is'nt requesting to upload something on their own.. This is just wrong.

Shay.