How to Categorize Data Sets in ArcGIS Open Data

10-03-2016 02:29 PM
XuanKuai1
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm working on our ArcGIS Open Data website and I'm trying to put the GIS data sets into different custom categories. I want it just like the way the Maryland site does: when click on an icon it brings me to a webpage where there are only data sets of one kind and nothing else. I'm kind of new to this and don't know where to start. I have our data here (very few but still adding...) and I already created the Open Data website.

Please help me to kick start this process. Much appreciated! Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BramptonGIS_Admin
New Contributor

Hi Xuan, the easiest way to accomplish what Maryland has done, is to ensure that you have given your data tags that match the categories you've chosen. After you've tagged your data, use the following example for your hyperlinks on your category icons: http://open.brampton.ca/datasets?q=Transportation where the q = the tag you gave your data.

0 Kudos
XuanKuai1
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I found out that the thing after "datasets?q=" in the url is equivalent to doing a search in the search bar. So, yes, I added corresponding tags to my data sets and worked nicely! Thank you.

0 Kudos
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

I have the same problem, basically. I gave a few feature services the same tag in AGOL. Then in our Open Data Editor, in the Tag Query box, I put the same tag. When viewing the website I only see one result when there should be a few? I made sure the tags were spelled correctly and the data is set to view publicly.

Do the Data Categories in Open Data only allow you to tag certain data types?

0 Kudos
XuanKuai1
New Contributor II

Hi Jared, I'm not a regular GeoNet user so please excuse my untimely reply. An workaround of tag would be put your data in groups, and AGOD offers the functionality of search the data sets in a group. It works perfectly fine with me this way. So if you haven't, certainly give it a try.

0 Kudos