Can I use multiple version of ArcGIS desktop on same computer with one EDN license?

10-05-2016 03:29 AM
MostafizurRahman2
New Contributor

If I have an EDN license, then Can I use multiple version of arcmap on same computer ? For example, I want to install ArcMap 10.0 and 10.4 with my EDN license. Now is it possible to install these 2 versions on same computer ?? If not, then Can I install 10.0 on computer_1 and 10.4 on computer_2(another computer.) I have read from here : [http://www.esri.com/legal/pdfs/mla_e204_e300/english#AGOL_Data][1]

and http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/edn/what-you-get

but not clear to me.I would be happy if anyone help me. Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

your can only install one version of arcmap on a computer

if you have two user profiles, one personal, one connected with an organization, then that is not an issue.

if you are connected with a university or college for instance, then the same would apply

MostafizurRahman2
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer. Then with my EDN, can I install another version of Arcmap on different computer ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes if that is covered by a registration then there should be no issue

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would double check if you are talking about a purchased ArcMap/Decktop license at the same time as EDN.  Typically EDN is all the server side software, and Desktop is purchased separately (or as an "add on").  So, you can install different versions of EDN "server" (e.g. ArcGIS Server) on separate servers for testing/developing, however, the Desktop might still be limited to one install/registration.   Base on the "what-you-get" page, if you are purchasing it as the "add on" with you EDN, it looks like it is just a single-use....and at whichever level you pay for (basic or standard or advanced).  But to be sure, always best to talk to customer support or your local distributor.

If the Desktop license is a concurrent license that you purchase separately ( and not single-use), then you can install Desktop on multiple machines, but can only access it on one machine at a time.

But as Dan mentioned, you don't want to mix 10.0 and 10.4 on one machine of any of the software.

btw - another option if not being used for work or profit, etc.  ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced for Personal Use      Cheap...still locked to one machine...but good if you want to expand your knowledge at home, etc.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I can deduce from the licensing document:  http://www.esri.com/~/media/Files/Pdfs/legal/pdfs/mla_e204_e300/english  it states this:

Your EDN license is Single Use and about "Single Use" the same document states this:

You can install it on a second computer for your own use as long as you don't use both at the same time.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And then, I suppose it comes down to whether it will let you authorize it on the two computers.  If not, that would be a call to customer service, I'm assuming. (??)

0 Kudos
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

EDN stands for Enterprise Development Network and thus separate licensing rules apply to enable developers to write and test their codes with different versions. As far as I remember from my old days working for Esri, you are allowed to have different versions of Desktop installed on multiple machines. (This ONLY applies to EDN licences.) When purchased as an EDN option, all Desktop licence codes for different versions should come up in your EDN account. If you are ever in doubt, feel free to contact your reseller/distributor as they should be able to clarify it.

Since you can only have one Desktop version installed per machine, you can set up different versions on either physical or virtual machines. (There are some caveats for VMs you need to consider like setting static MAC address for the VM and alike not to get your licence corrupted, but all modern VM environments should support these settings. Ask your reseller/distributor about the VM settings you need to make.)

To clear up some of the confusions above on Commercial Single Use Desktop licences: yes, you are allowed to install and licence Desktop on a second machine as long as you don't use both machines at the same time. Furthermore, you have to have the same version installed on both; so you are not allowed to have for example 10.2 on one machine and 10.3.1 on the other under the same licence.

I hope this helps.

MostafizurRahman2
New Contributor

Thanks for your information. It is really helpful

0 Kudos