Simplify varying symbol sizes on multiple symbols in the legend

10-11-2016 02:18 PM
NataliePyrooz
New Contributor

I am making some maps to display where invasive species occur throughout a given area, and the extent of area they cover. I have several maps for each of the individual species with points that vary in their symbol size according to how much area they cover. However I have one last map which is for several (10) species that occurred less often and for which I though it made more sense to have one aggregate map because each of them have 20 features or less. 

I am having trouble figuring out, in the legend, how to show a patch (I'm using points) with just the color, separate from something that will show the symbol size. The way it comes up it shows each of the 10 species, in their different colors, with each symbol size. I'd like just one generic symbol in the legend to demonstrate that each symbol size represents different acreage, and then something else to represent the color. If this is something that is possible I'd appreciate if someone could direct me to how to accomplish it. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaredPilbeam1
Occasional Contributor

Natalie,

Hopefully I understood you correctly. It looks as if you're using proportional symbols. I would try this workflow:

1.) Since each symbol range (0-25 acres) is the same for every species you could simply have a black circular outline of the five in the set (i.e.  0-.25, .25-.50, ect...). No Color. This way the ranges are represented by each size, and you would only need one set. To keep only the one set, Convert the legend to a graphic and erase the others.

For the species symbol I can think of two options:

1.) Create a unique symbol patch for every species. First, you have to have a polygon or line within the map with a useful shape to derive the patch from. Second, from the Customize menu, drag the Patch tool onto your tool bar somewhere. .

To add the patch to your legend go through the whole Insert --> Legend process. 

2.) Use the Draw Toolbar and simply add/create a symbol for each species. Then organize them in the legend.

Hope this helps.

Jared

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Converting the legend to graphics, ungrouping the result and editing the parts is one way. Of course, that will mean the legend is no longer linked to the map/data and therefore won't update if changes are made to the map/data.

Another workaround is to have a duplicate copy of the layer, set up with the way you want the symbology to look in the legend, but have the layer turned off in the map. Then you can use that layer to populate the legend in place of the actual layer)s) in the map. This will allow the legend to remain live and linked to the data, but it does mean having an extra layer in your TOC.

Each workaround has its pros and cons. Choose whichever works best in your case. I hope this helps!

NataliePyrooz
New Contributor

I ended up calling ESRI, and this was the workaround they gave me that achieved the results I was looking for. Thanks!

0 Kudos