Maps and Apps Gallery vs. Internal Only Group

10-12-2016 10:15 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

So we have an INTERNAL ONLY server where we store maps that are only accessible if you are on our local network. All of our maps are developed through the Web App Builder process...

1. Data compiled, configured, stored and shared as a REST Service from our Enterprise Database Server.
  2. AGOL Map developed with Layers and Popups configured
  3. WAB App developed, widgets configured, app downloaded
  4. App placed on server, unzipped, accessed via Folder name : http://internalservername/appname

So far this is all we have needed. However, we have started to have a decent number of internal only maps that our internal users are constantly cross asking about (i.e., Department X asks about map capabilties already developed and deployed in Map B) and we are passing URL's back and forth so we decided it was time to configure a Map Gallery for our Internal Only Maps.

In AGOL we configured an Internal Maps Only group. We shared an AGOL (currently private) map with this group and one that was public. At this point the public map shows up but not the private. We noticed that if we signed in, then it works perfectly. This Internal Map Gallery is supposed to be for INTERNAL USERS who may (or may not) have AGOL accounts. So we need this app to work regardless of who is accessing it because ONLY Internal users can even see it.

This is what we see when we visit this map. But if we login, we see the following:

I can't require users to login. Most users have no clue what AGOL even is.

What do I need to do.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AllisonMuise1

bokeefe‌ If the layers in the map are on internal-only servers, you could consider making the maps and apps shared with 'Everyone'. This would mean that anyone who found the application would be able to see that the maps/apps exist, but the data in those maps/apps will only draw if they are on your network.

0 Kudos
DanSenner
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning Allison, I came across the forum post below and wanted to follow up with you.  I had followed the same set up you said in this forum, prior to doing so our IT department had us reach out to our ESRI rep and confirm that this sharing process was in license compliance.  Our rep indicated to us that this was and grey area and that it was headed down the wrong path.  I have seen many other users saying they are doing this same process to share maps and apps. Are you under the same impression that this process is a grey area and headed down the wrong path regarding compliance?  Our IT department determined from our ESRI rep response that we should not follow this process.  It would seem to me that maybe others are getting different information because they are already doing this.  Any additional information you could provide would be very helpful.

Thanks
Dan

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Dan Senner

Thanks for the follow up question.

cc Brian O'keefe

I looked into this workflow a little bit further. Although the above workflow will work from a technical standpoint, it isn’t a best practice to share a map with an audience where some users can’t access the layers. I’d suggest engaging with your Esri Rep to discuss the best approach for permissions for this app.

-Allison

0 Kudos