How to Refresh AppStudio App?

10-13-2016 08:17 AM
KE
by
Occasional Contributor

I created a Quick Report app using the App Studio Basic license and recently acquired the Standard license to extend the app. I have shared the app with a few testers within the AppStudio environment (they download app studio and access the app that way on their mobile phones).  

The issue I'm having is that when I edit the app, the app on our phones, does not update. The issue happens whether I use AppStudio online or edit the code in Qt Creator, but most importantly I would like to be able to update the code and have it refresh. The app does not refresh even if I re-download the app within the AppStudio mobile app or uninstall and reinstall the AppStudio app.

The app in My Content in ArcGIS Online has a July update date, so does the app when I log into http://appstudio.arcgis.com/. But on AppStudio Desktop Edition, it has the correct October update date.

Is there a way to refresh the app on my phone? Or do I have to create a whole new app and have everyone download the new app for every little update, like a change in the description or color of text?

AppStudio Version 1.1.17 

License Level Standard

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kristen,

1) Are your running app inside the Player?

If yes - When you make changes to the app locally using QT creator then you need to upload those changes back to arcgisonline organisational account where the app is hosted. After the upload is successful. You can update that  app (download/ Update to latest) on your mobile inside the player. Please refer the section upload the app to arcgis and test the app in player.

Guided tour—AppStudio for ArcGIS (Desktop Edition) | ArcGIS 

If no- Then you need to create a new build using cloud make or online and then redeploy on the phone/mobile devices.

2) Why are you using AppStudio Version 1.1.17 ? When the latest version is 1.2 

AppStudio for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

-Nakul

KE
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response! I upgraded AppStudio to 1.2.25 and used the Upload button and clicked 'Update' but the updates still are not taking.

I updated the title. Would inhibit the ability to update the app? Or should it use the Item ID?

0 Kudos
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you the owner of the app you are uploading? Is the update failing? 

You can try one more thing just to be sure - create a new app from the original one and then upload it. And see if you can upload it. You must have a Standard license to do that. Otherwise it won't work.

Please include some screen shots.

-Nakul

0 Kudos
KE
by
Occasional Contributor

I am the owner of the app. 

The update does not fail. When I hit update I get a progress bar which completes without error.

I created a new app from the one that is not updating and named it Test. That one did upload to AppStudio Online and ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
KE
by
Occasional Contributor

I also tried updating the title of the Test app I just created and that does not work either.

0 Kudos
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you get a message update completed?

0 Kudos
KE
by
Occasional Contributor

No. The progress bar loads and disappears so quickly I wasn't able to take a screenshot, so maybe it is crashing before completing...

0 Kudos
KE
by
Occasional Contributor

Upon closer inspection it looks like it is only getting to 50%

0 Kudos
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor

So that means it is not getting updated. It could be because either you are not logged in or you are not owner. But since you can upload other app. That means only reason left is you are not the owner. If you are not the owner of the app it is going to disappear after 50% and won't complete the update.

0 Kudos