SDE Version keep it or recreate it

10-17-2016 09:34 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

We have a question about best practices in ArcSDE Administration with versions.

We have 2 versions created from DEFAULT used for web editing that are permanent. Editors digitize 2 feature classes in each version using ArcGIS Online. We would like to know the best way to manage these 2 versions. Should we periodically, for example every month, remove and recreate both versions with the same name and privileges. Or is it better to keep these 2 versions indefinitely.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'll start with a question:  what is the reason for the two different versions?

Versioning is a love/hate thing with me, so I keep it simple; one edit version for all feature classes.  Reconcile and post as necessary.  I've followed that model since version 8.2 and so far it's worked just fine.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez

We are in the design process and thinking about having 2 versions for 2 different groups and 2 web editing applications. We can also create a generic version for all web editing applications.

But the question remains the same, do we need to delete and recreate the same version periodically, or can we keep the same version indefinitely.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As mentioned:  Reconcile and post as necessary.  I've followed that model since version 8.2 and so far it's worked just fine.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez

This design is for an ArcGIS online web editing application.

When editing on the web  using ArcGIS online, can an editor choose when he/she wants to post and reconcile? Should the post and reconcile be done automatically? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jose,

Take a look at the following help document:

Geodatabase compression—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

In a fully compressed geodatabase, there are no rows in the delta tables and the state tree is trimmed back to zero. Performance improvement is greatest if the geodatabase is fully compressed.

In order to fully compress a geodatabase, the versions must be deleted.

JoseSanchez

Thanks Jake,

My question is more how do we handle SDE versions with web editing applications in ArcGIS Online: one version for all editors, or other models.

Any recommendation..

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

This would be a decision on how you want to handle the edits.  If you have multiple versions, for example one per editor, you will need to perform more maintenance on the back end such as reconciling/posting these versions.  You will also need to have multiple feature services, web maps, and web applications.  Users do not have the ability to switch to another version using a feature service, therefore a service would need to be published for each version, added to a web map, and then a editing application created from this.

If you have one version for all editors, this would be more manageable as you could have have one service, one web map, and one web application.  I recommend enabling Editor Tracking, especially if using one version.  That way you will know who made what edits, and you can also restrict edits to the feature's creator if need be.