ELLIPSOID-ANCHPOR POINT

Jump to solution
10-19-2016 05:34 AM
ChuckTurlington
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am in the attempting to understand the details behind the ellipsoid and geoid concepts as they relate to datums.  I understand some of the basic concepts of the ellipsoid and geoid, and my research suggests that the ellipsoid is defined with an anchored point based on the International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF).  I have to assume this refers to an origin anchor point (earth center) but have to ask if this understanding is correct and is it one anchor point or several that are used?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from this link I sent you  in your other thread Tools and Applications | Natural Resources Canada under Reference Frames

The International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF) is the official scientific global spatial reference frame. However, ITRF is dynamic and its coordinates change over time because of tectonic plates motion worldwide.

And if you are interested in ITRF, then the official webpage is the best reference The International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF) 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from this link I sent you  in your other thread Tools and Applications | Natural Resources Canada under Reference Frames

The International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF) is the official scientific global spatial reference frame. However, ITRF is dynamic and its coordinates change over time because of tectonic plates motion worldwide.

And if you are interested in ITRF, then the official webpage is the best reference The International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF) 

0 Kudos