AGOL WAB My Location tool

Jump to solution
10-20-2016 08:52 PM
CelinaR
New Contributor II

I've built an app for our local trail system on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. If I use the My Location tool/widget out on the trail, it shows my location as atleast a mile away. If I turn my phone Location Settings to "GPS Only" (I have an Android), it finds my location eventually. I'm not sure how to do the same in an iPhone, but am also wondering why we'd need to do this at all? Has anyone else experienced this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The collector app is a native app and has different access to the phones gps, where WAB has to use geolocation or HTML 5 access to the gps through the browser.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Celina,

When you do not have your phone set to "GPS Only" it uses wifi and cellular data to try and better the location of the GPS. It seems that is only making it worse in your situation.An iPhone has a similar option to use GPS, bluetooth, and crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations to determine your approximate location.

CelinaR
New Contributor II

Robert,

Thank you for the reply. What increased my confusion was that I had Collector on my phone and was able to use it to collect trail points, without having to switch my phone to GPS Only. So, apparently the location tool that Collector uses is different than the one available as a widget in WAB?

With the potential for wildlife encounters, injuries during athletic events, etc. on the trail system, we'd planned to introduce the app to our local emergency responders. But I really hesitate to give them an app that requires changing settings on their phone first.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The collector app is a native app and has different access to the phones gps, where WAB has to use geolocation or HTML 5 access to the gps through the browser.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Don't forget to mark this question as answered by clicking on the "Correct Answer" link on the reply that answered your question.

0 Kudos