Import seperate Python program in Arcgis Pro

10-20-2016 10:31 PM
JustusDünzen
New Contributor

Hi everyone, I am completely new here in this forum and hope I this topic is right here, I´m sorry if not.

So I´m looking for a solution to implement a programmed Python algorithm in ArcGIS. In detail it deals with a programmed package problem on a specific area. My aim is it to import this program in ArcGIS. This specific area should reference to an area on the earth map, which was screened before. Is it possible to control my program and see it on the map? For example: I say in my program code : Place x and place y are occupied by two packages and I see this packages in form of coloured cells on my map?

I support two friends who are writing there bachelor thesis at the moment.

Best regards from Germany

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are these standalone scripts? or are they python packages that need to be incorporated into your python distribution?  Using the former is easy... the latter less so.  Details are needed about the programs and how they operate individually before any reasonable statement can be made on how to get them to operate in tandem

JustusDünzen
New Contributor

Thank you Dan for your answer.

At the moment we program with VBA code in Excel. When the program is finished we try to translate it in python.(python 3.5.2 I think)

The program works that way, that it tests the place we have left on x and y coordinates. After that it compares the size of the next Package which should be stored on this area.

Does it fit, it is placed on that area. And this goes on and on till the space is to small for a next package.

The next programming steps are just optimized methods, that the packages also can be turned and tested by various variations. It then proofs which variation takes the smallest space (Area-method).

I do not know if we use stand alone scripts. Or how we even define that. I think our next steps would just be to download python, then write the program with it and then to try how we can import it.

0 Kudos