Modelbuilder: Iterate over a subset of feature classes in a large GDB?

10-20-2016 03:59 PM
MatthewCvitanovich
New Contributor

Can the Feature Class Iterator in Modelbuilder be used to iterate over a select subset of feature classes within a large GDB using a Boolean or some other means?

I've tried using "Calculate Value" to create a boolean variable return True(1) if the feature class "%Name%" is found in a specified list, but this only applied to the 1st Tool in a long string of steps ... I'd rather not waste computing time iterating over feature classes that are not of interest (not in my current Map Document).

Is there a simple solution to this - without using "Multivalue iterator"?

Thank you,

Matt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

apparently there are a bunch of filters you can employ in modelbuilder

value list Value list filter—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

geometry type Feature class filter—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

file type File filter—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

But I don't know if you can cobble together something that will filter by name or portion.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You ask a question about the Feature Class iterator then make a reference about your map document, which makes no sense. The Feature Class iterator takes as input a Workspace such as a folder or geodatabase and has nothing to do with map documents. If you are using the Feature Class iterator then the only way to subset what it spits out is by setting the wildcard and feature type parameters.

FeatureClass Iterator

You may be trying to employ a workflow that cannot be easily supported in model builder and best done in python?

0 Kudos